3D Printing Show & Tell

Here’s an in progress shot of the build:

First column soldered and working just 135 LEDs to go!

Got a bunch of soldering done yesterday:

Hooked it up to the Adafruit matrix driver and ran one of the examples:

Only had one slight mishap with catching the soldering iron on the 3D print, fortunately it’s on the back ;-)

1 Like

Looking good, Must have been fun getting all the led wires the right way round,

The schematic has a nice pattern to it, once I’d figured that out I printed a couple of jigs to help in bending them the right way. For example, the first column has 1 x type-A and 8 x type-B, the second column has 2xA and 7xB and so on. I think over the course of 144 LEDs I only had to replace 2 or 3 which I think were just dodgy LEDs rather than me having bent them wrong.

I just need to replace the Arduino Uno with something a bit more compact then it’s ready to sit on my desk properly!

Now I’ve got the Pro Trinket installed, here’s a couple of shots of the back:

Not the neatest of soldering, but that’s ok, it’s on the back ;-)

1 Like

Hey would you mind sharing the stl for the ultra sonic sensor mount?

I was about to make one myself.

Here you go: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1658236

1 Like

Awesome, time to fire up the printer!

Thank you very much :)

1 Like

Nice one! Love seeing people print my designs, glad it worked out!

This is a great thread. I’ve been thinking about getting a 3D printer and this is adding to the desire.

1 Like

Some great examples! I want to get a 3D printer - what sort of strength do the final prints have? your pi holder - how thick is it? does it flex?

1 Like

It sort of depends on the print, the Pi holder is pretty thin (a few mm if I recall) and was printed fairly hollow so there’s a bit of flex, but you can tweak that and print anywhere from completely hollow to completely solid. Solid really does mean solid and usually you can get away with between 30% and 50% fill.

Spent some time getting to grips with Fusion 360 this evening:

It’s a replacement for the cardboard box that comes with the Google AIY voice kit.

2 Likes

That looks ace! Have you tried printing one yet?

Have to wait until I’m back in work tomorrow and have access to the Makerspace, can’t wait!

If you hadn’t seen it on Twitter:

I need to make a slight tweak to the lid as I mis-measured the button diameter, but files will be available soon!

Files are available, would love to see it if you print it!

2 Likes

My workmate has printed one for me. It looks pretty good although its a bit rough around the power cable hole. Will upload some pics when I build the kit. Also have a new 3D printer arriving tomorrow so might give it a go on that too (My old ones constantly playing up).

1 Like

A simple one for today, a Mote stick mount for my Ikea Kallax bookshelf.

Plan is to add backlighting to each of the cubbies!

Another Kallax print:
IMG_20190930_172019
IMG_20190930_180009
IMG_20190930_180702_1