Introduce yourself!

I’m Lisa. I’m Amy’s mum and don’t have time for anything else. I still can’t code so much as the Scratch cat to meow but I buy all the sparkly things for the kids and we have over a dozen Pis < oops! > I arrange parties and babysit small kids at coderdojo with hama beads, soldering irons and e-textiles :D

Hi! I’m new to the Raspberry Pi and having fun learning to use it. I’m a professional programmer in my day job which just really interferes with my hobbies! I’m looking forward to being part of this community.

Cheers!

Rascal

Hi. I’m very new to Raspberry Pi and started a very new project (but I have been involved in big control systems for 35 years). I need a small LCD and the Adafruit Pi Plate 2 line LCD display looks perfect. The question I have is - Can I program /drive it using C? Thanks.

Yes, you can drive basically anything in C as long as you’re willing to either implement the driver yourself by reading the datasheet, or Google to see if someone else has done it.

I think the Adafruit LCD is a pretty common and well supported type that will be supported by this C code: https://bitbucket.org/Asion/raspberrypi/src/91a08ad427783db68e3cc653c19f39fedf87d557/lcd/?at=default

Many thanks but it looks as if that is for a Hitachi HD44780 LCD (it has such comments inside).
The Adafruit pi plate is i2C no? I’d prefer i2C because I want to use the other pins for something else.
Paul

Hi
I bought a pi for my 20 year old daughter when they 1st came out. we played around with it for a while then it got set aside. I know nothing about programming at all so I am picking it up as I go along. I find that the beginners guides written for adults all assume that you have some level of experience and so they are too difficult. I have bought some kits that were really designed for children - and they have proved to be really helpful !

My big project is to build a number of night vision cameras and Infrared light arrays for recording wildlife. The project is progressing quite well . I still have a way to go but I will let you know how I get on.

I love the quality of the original Pibow and I was planning to buy a Pibow coupe but I read on you site " Please note: The Model B Coupé will not work with a Rev 1 Model B that has JTAG (P2) headers "

How do I find out what model my pi is (I dont know what JTAG (P2) headers are !)

1 Like

Ahoy! Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you’ve got an interesting project on the go - you should keep us posted on it in a new project thread!

Regarding the Rev 1 Model B and the P2 header- it’s a small row of 8 pins situated between the black audio jack and the yellow video connector. The newer PiBow simply wont fit over these pins unfortunately, and it’s not easy to modify it to fit.

I’m Michael and I’m a programmer. I’m new to the world of the Raspberry Pi and am mostly looking to use my programming skills to make cool stuff happen.

1 Like

Hi,
my name is Helmut Gruber, I am a software developer from Germany. Just about to say: I love the pi. Besides boring C++ stuff, I recently did a lot of Lua programming, which is real fun.

1 Like

Hello all. I’m Simon and I’m a Cocoa developer by day (mainly OS X but I do some iOS work too). I had the happy coincidence of my daughter falling in love with Minecraft, asking me to teach her how to write code and the Raspberry Pi 2 being launched all within 48 hours so Python and Minecraft Pi seemed like an ideal solution and a great excuse to allow me to tinker with something new. As well as buying a Pi for her I’ve bought a B+ and a Unicorn Hat for me (and backed Flotilla) because I want to tinker with hardware too which is something I’ve never done before. My first project is to use the Unicorn to show my the results of builds done using Bots on my Xcode server.

1 Like

Boujour tout le monde.

I’m Alan, I’m Irish and living in the South of France for the past 10 years since my then future wife bundled me back over to her part of the world in her suitcases.

I discovered Arduino and Rasbperry Pi 2 years ago having woken early one Sunday morning and switching on BBC Click - Notts Hack showing arduino projects and Eben Upton (& Eric Schmidt) talking about Raspberry Pi and CS education in schools. I had an awakening! (Well it was very early in the morning ;o)

Since then very passionate about tech making. I’ve been able to participate in conferences. I’ve just started teaching the French “B2I” (~Certificate in Computers and Internet) in my son’s primary School. Organising our first Rhone Valley Raspberry Jam towards the end of the month of February and grouping up with some others to try to create a local HackSpace.

Have picked up quite a bit of swag, Pis and bits n bobs from Pimoroni. A happy French customer! ;o)

Looking forward to getting to Cambridge for the RPI 3rd Birthday at the end of the month and meeting lots of other "fana"s of the Raspberry Pi.

Greetings,

I’m finally getting back to doing makey-makey projects with microcontrollers and such. Until recently everything I worked on was either Parallax (BASIC Stamp, Propeller, Javelin) or a little bit of TI MSP430. In the past few months I’ve jumped into Arduino and Raspberry Pi as well. I have (so far) a Pi B, a new Pi B+, and a Pi 2 which just shipped out today from being backordered. Thus far most of these new (to me) items are examples of “Invention is the mother of necessity.” But lurking in the dark corners of my mind are projects which I’ve been toying with for a while, most of which in some way are related to my other hobby, model trains (and specifically, Japanese trains). I’m actually vice-president of a club in the Washington DC area which specializes in modeling Japanese rail. We’re the only train club who exhibits every year (5 or 6 years running) at the DC Cherry Blossom Festival. If you’re in DC the second Saturday of April, come look for us. ^_^

Oh… my name is Thomas Rackers. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

1 Like

Hello all,

I’m Arend-Jan van Hilten, a 15(16 in a few weeks) years old Dutch boy. I have 2 RPi’s, one B and one RPi 2, which still has to be delivered by Element14. I have 4 Arduino’s and I am giving lessons in coding the Arduino, here in Woerden, my city.

I have some experience in Python, LabVIEW, C, HTML, PHP and some other things and not very much experience in English, German(Sorry, but a horrible language), French(Too) and friends.

It would be fun to meet some other people, who also like coding.

Groetjes,

Arend-Jan
Twitter: RaspberryPiNerd

1 Like

Hi all. I’m in Sussex, UK, with a life-long fascination for computer tech. My first foray was a ZX81 followed by a BBC Micros (model B) which I loved… even got into assembly language a little. I wish I’d kept it.

Bought a Pi-B in 2012 but didn’t use it a lot (shame :( ). Now have a Pi-B-2 in the lovely red Pimoroni Coupé case (bought on the day it was announced and amazingly received the next day). This has reinvigorated my techy side and I’ve installed RaspBMC on the old Pi and Raspbian on the new one, along with Wordpress so I can tinker and learn more about customising, themes and plugins.

I find using the Pi for this kind of learning is much more satisfying and productive than doing stuff on my laptop (running Linux Mint Xfce). It’s more like running a “real” server and I can be more technically adventurous without worrying too much about messing things up. :)

I’m a Flotilla backer and look forward to receiving my goodies in May. Great to see that project receive so much love and all those stretch goals. Fantastic!

Hi all. I’m in Bamboo River, Malaysia. I’m also a Flotilla backer. I am really looking forward to helping our seven year-old girl have great fun with many Flotilla projects.

Even though she will be eight by May, I still think she’s still a bit young for Python. I reckon she may have a chance with Ruby. (I’m sure there is a good reason that Sonic Pi uses Ruby).

I’m hoping to have time to translate some of the Python scripts to Ruby for her to sue.

Hi, I’m Tony. I started teaching Computing at Moorhill Secondary School in Southampton in the late 1960s. We used an IBM 1130 with pre-punched Hollerith cards, removing the chads with the tip of a ball point pen, having already written the statement across the top edge of the card. Initial languages were C&G319 assembler and FORTRAN IV. The BASIC got hold of was Brazil and all the error messages were in Portuguese! I was a teacher-trainer in Cambridgeshire when the BBC Computer was produced having gained experience with an original Commodore PET (hooked up to a teletype for I/O) and Ohio Superboards. I’m still enjoying writing programs for Pi and Arduinos and looking forward to using the Flotilla kit in a LEGO robot.

I’m Graham, exiled Yorkshireman living in the San Francisco Bay area. After a career in hi-tech, I quit and now do startups and such for fun.

Working on building photographic robots in Napa, CA. We’ll show the world’s first terapaixel macro image soon :-))

1 Like

Hmmmm I wouldn’t be so quick to jump to that assumption: the reason for Ruby being used is the syntax is designed around the developer, not the hardware, so it’s probably easier to use, but I’d argue for python syntax being closer to what comes up in other programming languages. But I am a pythonista and I’ve not yet found my use for the ruby stuff I picked up, so I am biased.

That’s also kind of a long term view from the hope she’d go on to want to learn other languages :P Have you looked at getting her started on http://codecademy.com ? I loved the ruby lessons on there.

Charlotte

Thank you for your suggestion. My belief in Ruby being easier to learn for a beginner is based mainly on:

• me knowing Ruby much better than Python

• Ruby’s everything is an object consistency is a help for a young person

• I suspect the significance of indentation within code is not helpful to young children

I also think that the easier it is for a youngster to build a GUI program the better. Ruby/Shoes make it very easy to do so, I don’t know if there is a Python equivalent.

I’m sure that our daughter will move on to other languages as I will introduce her to Red in due course.

Then there’s Ruby Koans, Why’s Guide To Ruby, Kids Ruby, etc, etc. Ruby is a pretty cool and eccentric language, it’s what I started with on the Pi ( which is why WiringPi Ruby exists ), but alas it’s just so much more hassle to get up and running than Python.