Pi Zero W, Pirate Radio and the PhatBeat

Absolutely perfect!!!

Took an age to run all the scripts, but this is EXACTLY what I was after, thank you so much!

Drat you got the upside-down VU meter before I patched it :D But otherwise; awesome!

Haha was going to ask about that ;)

Will it be easy to change?

Looking good, despite the upside down meter!
I’m actually starting again - Any hints as to exactly what I need to run?

Sorry, I’m not having a good day.

Also, I have a request for a matching speaker so I can run it in stereo please :)

1 Like

I just followed this to the letter:

There was one bit of VLC install that failed so I restarted it using the recommended repair command.

Oh, all the buttons work apart from the power button at the top of the Phatbeat (GPIO pin 12).

Is there a simple way to make this work?

And yes, using the VLC method, it’s all working! It’s taken quite literally all day to get this far. I’ll just bung a handful of stations in the playlist file and I’m sorted. The VU meter is upside down though.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

One comment about the buttons on the pHAT Beat though. I’ve only pushed the ‘down’ button three or four times to reduce the volume from deafening level but it’s already broken. I was careful and only used my fingernail but it’s just not doing anything any more. Are there better quality buttons I can fit instead because I can see them all going very quickly.

For the reversed VU Meter, If you edit /etc/asound.conf do you see a bar_reverse setting at all?

The buttons definitely shouldn’t break from just a few pushes, I haven’t been especially nice to my prototype. Did it pop off the board? There should be a liberal amount of solder in the mounting lugs to stop that.

Adding power-off functionality will be easy, and it should help prevent any shutdown corruption woes. I did wonder if there was a better use I could put it to, though, but I haven’t come up with one yet.

No, that setting isn’t in the file.

Regarding the button, it’s not broken off the board, the button itself has folded inwards towards the board. I’ve tried to angle it back slightly but it’s really difficult. All the buttons are a bit stiff, this one has just gone.

/edit: Quick blast on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0PGwHYqAzs

1 Like

Just to add to this. We’ve now added support for pHAT BEAT to our airdac one-line-installer, meaning that if you have an iPhone you can stream audio to your Pirate Radio. The VU meter should work too.

Just run curl https://get.pimoroni.com/airdac | bash in the terminal, making sure that you select the pHAT BEAT option when prompted, and then you should see it pop up as an option on your iPhone’s Airplay list.

1 Like

@feek drop me a forum PM with your order number, and I’ll sort you out a replacement!

Hi I was looking at the pirate radio in your store and looking at what tutorials and information you have on your website and on github.
I’m a complete noob to pi/Linux/programming and electronics in general and the only programming I have done was on my zx81 back in the day, and that was entry level basic programming.
Since finding the information that you have put out there, I have been put off purchasing the pirate radio because there seems to be not enough information for someone new to the field.
Would this be a fair assumption to make or am i wrong?

George, if you follow the instructions linked in this post, you will have a working system. It won’t be fancy but it will work.

Mine has been playing, listening to Radio Caroline Flashback all day!

it is worth noting that the phat BEAT is about 3 days old… @sandyjmacdonald and @gadgetoid are working on tutorials and projects that will not require anything more than running a single command (more or less).

In fact, we now have a Dashboard product and we will add all the projects installers as they become available so in the near future you won’t even have to figure out what to install manually, just browse through a list.

The dashboard itself is available right now by running:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pimoroni

… projects will be added in the next week or so (for some of our products, including at least one specifically for pHAT BEAT). All that to say, that, making things as easy as possible for people less inclined to figure out how to create working setups is definitely something we want to make possible.

2 Likes

Out of interest, did you find a way to get the VU meters back round the right way?

I believe that is fixed yes - perhaps your repo is not up to date? cd into the ~/Pimoroni/pivumeter/ directory, which should exist on your system and git pull, then run the setup again, like so:

./setup.sh phat-beat

or, well, run the pHAT BEAT installer again, which will do that for you.

OK, running the installer again seemed the simplest option for me. I guess I’m going to get absolutely deafened when it restarts :D

/edit - Yes, that worked - The VU meters are now correct, thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for the instructions above, I have followed them through from a brand new install of raspbian lite and have had a couple of problems. I completed the instructions and then rebooted after the crontab instructions.

Nothing happened when I restarted (I am not sure if it should, but figured as much info as possible is useful), so I ran vlc.py in the vlc folder.

That didn’t seem to work either, and resulted in the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “vlc.py”, line 122, in
if vlc.start():
File “vlc.py”, line 102, in start
return_value = subprocess.check_output([‘./vlc.sh’])
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 566, in check_output
process = Popen(stdout=PIPE, *popenargs, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 710, in init
errread, errwrite)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 1335, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

I wondered if it might be because I followed the python 3 instructions earlier, and did the pip2 installation as well as pip3, but it said the dependencies had already been met.

The hardware works, and I copied and pasted the contents of the files, so I think they are ok. I got decent playback from the contents of the playlist using vlc, so that seems ok, and the sound is pretty reasonable.

Any thoughts on what I have done wrong, or what I can do to fix the problems?

Cheers,
Dave

The replacement is much better - The buttons work perfectly, thank you.