Picade HAT Poor Sound Quality

Apologies for bringing this one back from the dead…

I’m using Rpi3 and Picade HAT. When I shut down I notice an ALSA underrun message.

Sound is dreadful with a 4ohm speaker, almost like its delayed or slowed down/ not getting enough power. I’ve tried lowering volume, (although Id like to lower volume on the picade hat, but cant work out how to do it. This might reduce the picade power requirement and push it onto the Rpi3 as above suggests?)

Has anyone seen ALSA underrun before? I cant find much relating to Picade, so I guess not and its just peculiar to my set up?

Any guidance grateful received, I don’t have the coding ability to really understand the google searches, sadly…

I’ll keep reading!

Rob

which distribution are you using, RetroPie, Raspbian, another? what does aplay -l say?

Hi Rogue

Sorry, lack of information! I’m using RetroPie 4.1

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Thanks for help

Rob

that looks OK… what PSU are you using + anything unusual hooked up to the USB ports?

Just to chime in- I’ve seen the ALSA Underrun before on our test setups, and don’t think it’s in any way related. Thanks for delving into the forums to try and find answers. This should probably be split out to another thread, though, since Picade HAT and Picade PCB are quite different.