perfectly.

Think I found it…

/home/pi/Pimoroni/phatbeat/projects/vlc-radio/vlcd/etc/vlcd/default.m3u

(Not tested it yet)

To change the radios you need to create the file playlist.m3u in /boot

sudo nano /boot/playlist.m3u

Or alternatively you could place the file

In /home/pi/.config/vlc

As I’ve said, that file path doesn’t exist.

I’m going to to test the one I’ve found above, as I don’t want to edit the file in /boot, I want to use ssh.

I found it! (and tested it)

/etc/vlcd/default.m3u

The file I found previously was just the example for the project.

Ok. From reading the big pirate radio thread (Pi Zero W, Pirate Radio and the PhatBeat), I gather it would be best for me to copy the default.m3u to a newly created ~/.config/vlc/ folder to stop it being overwritten by any updates?

Does that sound about right? Will that config folder’s contents override the default.m3u in the /etc/vlcd folder?

Yes that is what you should do

1 Like

Cheers, that’s all worked now (although I almost forgot to rename the file from default.m3u to playlist.m3u).

Now how would I set up the web interface for VLC? I tried setting the password in vlcrc in the .config/vlc folder but this seems to have no effect.

(I just tried the password ‘raspberry’ on a hunch and it worked. Not sure how to change it. This isn’t my device password for what it’s worth)

Ok, I’ve discovered all the settings are found by editing /usr/bin/vlcd

I have finally got something playing on on my Pirate Radio, although I have to turn it off almost immediately 'cos the music is so bad! (my taste!).

Doing a bit of playing around, I was able to navigate to one of the mp3’s on my NAS, but could only play the one I clicked on. Now I need to find where I can mount the media library on the Pi so VLC can see it on boot.

Sandy, any suggestions?

Which project did you use?

So I ended up installing mopidy. I started from scratch again and used the spotify project, and installed the tuneinradio plugin, and I also installed the airplay project. Any thoughts on using tuneinradio vs vlcradio? Seems easier to me to make a playlist in mopidy for my favourite stations, and be able to search using the tuneinradio database.

I’m not entirely sure what the default biitrate of these stations is, but then not sure it matters on a 3W speaker in mono…

Seems like it takes a little longer from ‘play’ to ‘noise’ than the vlcradio, but maybe that doesn’t matter?

To edit the one in /etc/vlcd/default.m3u I have to do a sudo nano /etc/vlcd/default.m3u. Any other method and it wouldn’t let me save the changes. Dropping a playlist on to your Sd card will work too. It disappears on first boot up though so there is no going back and editing it.

If anybody is interested in using a media keyboard with your pirate radio, it is doable, with a bit work. Use a media keyboard with your pHat Beat, can it be done? I’m using a FLIRC USB IR receiver and an IR remote control with mine and loving the convenience. Phil “gadgetoid” really stepped up with lots help on this one.

[quote=“alphanumeric, post:26, topic:4823”]
Dropping a playlist on to your Sd card will work too. It disappears on first boot up though so there is no going back and editing it.[/quote]
It gets moved to the user’s home folder, so can be edited from there. From the README in the repository:

A default playlist is supplied with the project, but you can (and probably will want to) tune in your favorite stations, of course.

You can either create a playlist.m3u and drop it in your home folder (in /home/pi/.config/vlc/), or if you don't feel like logging in via ssh you may also drop the playlist.m3u in the /boot partition of your SD from another computer and the VLC daemon will copy it in place for your convenience.

Ah, OK, that explains what’s going on nicely. Thanks for the info.

I found this really useful. Ive just built my Pirate Radio today and have added a load of stations. Really impressed with the Radio 5 Live Feed.

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem. As soon as I bother with the playlist.m3u either way, the radio refuses to restart. The only solution is to re-install the whole thing. Getting bored and memory cards will be worn out soon!

Also can’t find ANY of the *.m3u files? Where are they?

Annoying
PS the radio has NEVER worked first time. The first use of the curl ****vlc radio fails. The second of third time works Ok!

PS. Does it HAVE to switch on at full volume!?

Yeah, the first time start at full volume will have you fumbling for the volume down button.
If you put a playlist.m3u file in the boot partition (the one windows can see) it will be auto copied to the correct folder and “replace” the default playlist on boot up.
I have the location of the actual playlist saved in a text file on my other PC. I’m on my laptop at the moment. I’ll post it here when I get a chance. You can edit that one adding your stations.
Mine pretty well always works first time (on the first reboot) as long as I set my internet up correctly.