Would like a Wi-Fi RGB controller for low-voltage 5mm LEDs with common anode

A while ago I made an LED-lit candelabra inspired by a computer game I like: http://imgur.com/a/8TjPU - it is powered by a controller intended for RGB LED strips which typically seems to accept 12 V inputs for all three channels. I put three high-power LEDs in series and adapted the voltages to my needs by placing some high-power resistors in series as well. It works but the tubes aren’t evenly lit. I can control it from my phone which has an IR emitter.

I want to do it again but using many low-power LEDs stacked on top of each other rather than single high-power LEDs shining from the bottom of the tubes. I will use convex/inverted cone LEDs to give a wide viewing angle. The problem is that the overwhelming majority of remote-controlled RGB LED controllers are for 12 V and 24 V LED strips where as my LEDs will accept something like 2.4 V and 3.2 V (x2). With 100 LEDs in series this will be around 2A per channel, I think.

Any suggestions? I’m hoping to escape doing the complicated circuit building stuff myself (has worked so far :P).

Have you thought about using addressable pixel strips (WS2812B or APA102)?

Hey Jon. My very first attempt was using LED strips but the problem is that in order to get 360 degree lighting around the inside of the tube, I have to wrap them around a metal tube inside the diffuser and this places them too close to the diffuser which makes the points of light visible. I want the tube to appear to be the light-source rather than LEDs inside it.

Edit: What’s the closest-spaced WS2812B or APA102 strip I’m likely to find? My first attempt was with 60/meter whereas now I’m seeing 144/meter and maybe if I use a piece of square bar instead of a metal tube, I can run the LEDs up and down the four sides. I think I’d rather get non-addressable LEDs though because they’ll be cheaper and a little bit easier to wire up?

What about a couple of these back to back (or perhaps three in a triangular setup) https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/adafruit-neopixel-stick

It’s kind of hard to suggest without knowing the requirements of the project (like the size of the lamp, maximum acceptable power draw, etc)!

The candelabra tubes are ~33 cm tall and there are three of them so those sticks would be a pretty expensive method, plus the addressable options all require complicated control methods. The control method I used for my original lamp is simply this thing which was really easy to attach and didn’t require me to learn programming etc!

Unfortunately, I can’t find LED strips with 144 LEDs per metre that aren’t using addressable LEDs!

The maximum acceptable power draw is, I suppose, 150 W. I’m guessing that the main limitation is the ability to dissipate the heat.