I am considering a Display HAT Mini for a project but have a few questions.
- Can it be powered up permanently with no ill effects?
- What is the power consumption?
- Can it be connected via cable rather than straight on to GPIO? If so is the cable included or would I need to order separately?
- This is no OLED, so I would say yes.
- I don’t have this one, but I use similar ones. They are all in the range from 2mA - 60mA (depending on the backlight). Since this is a display for a Pi, I would not worry about power-consumption. Even the Pi-0 will have an idle consumption of 90-100mA. If you are running on batteries, the Pi is not an optimal basis anyhow. Otherwise, it just does not matter.
- You can use cables (not included). One option is to take a look at the pinout and only connect the necessary pins. The other option is to buy a female-male 40-pin extension cable, something like GPIO Ribbon Extension Cable for HATs and Mini HATs
One problem with the extension cables is their size. They are stiff and take up a lot of space. But they do give you a robust connection.
Thank you that is helpful.