Is there a way to use PIL / Pillow with the HyperPixel 4.0

I know I’m going against the grain here a bit in terms of what I’m trying to do, but I’m told it should be possible…

Basically I had a script that was displaying a dashboard of sorts to a DisplayHATMini. I decided I needed some more screen space, so opted for the HyperPixel since it seemed like the perfect size. It’s all been a bit complicated since then.

First of all I had to give up on Bullseye, the screen simply didn’t work, and went back to Buster. With the legacy drivers script installed, I got the console to show up on the screen, so I know it’s working that much.

I intend to run headless, so I don’t want to have the console outputting to the HP, and I’ll use PIL to output what I need to display.

Support tell me it’s possible, apparently I just remove the dtoverlay line from config.txt, and then “specify display DSI-1 in PIL to output to the Hyperpixel”.

I’m at a loss on that last part, it doesn’t seem to matter what I do, I can’t find a way to output to the HP from a Python script, using PIL/Pillow.

Can anyone suggest anything?
Thanks!