Picade Console "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)"

Hi - I’ve just built my Picade Console and installed RetroPie on a new SD card. On boot I get what I think is a kernel panic, with this error message:

“Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(179,2)”

Googling the error suggested reinstalling the SD card so, I’ve reformatted and reinstalled RetroPie and tried an alternative card, but still get the same error.

I’ve noticed that the power light in the Picade board flashes once as the Pi starts up then stays off. I don’t know if this is related or not.

Cheers,

James

UPDATE: It has successfully run NOOBS and installed Raspbian from one of the cards I was tryng to install RetroPie from, so at least I know my new Raspberry Pi 2 isn’t bricked :-)

1 Like

Have you tried re-downloading or grabbing a different version of RetroPie to be sure? It’s possible the image you’re flashing from is dodgy.

When running NOOBS is your Pi in the same configuration, with the same peripherals attached and the same power supply?

Have you tried re-downloading or grabbing a different version of RetroPie to be sure?

I was using the SD card image for RPi 2, and I have re-downloaded that. I’ll try a different version next, and report back.

When running NOOBS is your Pi in the same configuration, with the same peripherals attached and the same power supply?

Yes, exactly the same, even the Picade was plugged in, which showed a steady power light and seemed to be interpreting joystick and button inputs as expected.

Thanks for your help, I’ll let you know how I get on with a different version of RetroPie :-)

I’ve got it running now, by downloading from Git straight onto the Pi. Thanks for your help.

1 Like