Saving and sharing projects

Ahoy

I am very hapy about my mega treasur pack and had made some experiments. But i havn’t found out how to save my rockwell projects or to deploy my projects to flotilla without running a pi. There is a offline pi project but i don’ t know how to use it.

Will there be a platform to share projects?
Is there a offline component?
Do you expect anything to make noise?

Steffen

[quote=“squ, post:1, topic:1621, full:true”]
Will there be a platform to share projects?[/quote]
I suspect that will be possible in one form or another… I know @gadgetoid is very keen to provide save and load functionality and sharing them will likely be possible from there. An online repo? I don’t know but that would be very cool indeed!

If you mean a way to flash the dock with your code the Arduino way then no, that’s definitely not the philosophy behind Flotilla. The platform is much more focused on experimenting and learning and as a result projects being in constant flux.

I personally expect Flotilla to make noise. For a start there is a noise maker included in the box right? but with the upcoming update, and its performance upgrade + platform agnosticism there’s a bunch of people I’m definitely going to want to introduce to Flotilla!

We’re currently working on a new update to Flotilla/Rockpool, code-named ShipShape. It’s a complete overhaul to speed it up, add a bit of polish and get everything working properly.

Being able to save and share projects is on the roadmap- I couldn’t imagine a Rockpool without it- however it’s a heck of a tricky feature to realize and it probably wont make it into ShipShape fully, if at all.

Another thing we’re investigating is taking saves from Rockpool and running them in Python, or converting them to Python, so that they can be deployed outside of Rockpool and maybe even learned from as a basis for transitioning into Python programming.

You will always need at least a Pi, or other capable computer connected to your dock to make it work. As @RogueM mentions the ability to permanently flash code to Flotilla isn’t really how we ever imagined it working, it will always play second-fiddle to the Pi or another host computer.

That said, the chip is an Atxmega32a4u, it’s running a DFU-Bootloader and any sufficiently adventurous Flotilla owner could have a whale of a time writing their own software for it.

The noisemaker kit will make noise, there’s a very beta cookbook recipe for it here, which will be cleaned up once we’ve finished ShipShape: http://flotil.la/cookbook/synth/