Replace Enviro+ Screen?

Okay, bit of interesting progress here. After adding the additional wiring I now have the screen lighting up.

So I’ve again tried one of the example scripts from Pimoroni and the screen is working (!?), but… it’s flickering a lot and there’s some “smearing” of the items on screen, so it doesn’t seem healthy. My first thought is that it’s not getting the right clock timing?

Screen

Wiring

OK, that’s good progress! Clock timing should be sorted by the software library, so unless something really odd is happeing that shouldn’t be an issue.

That kind of flickery corruption could be some sort of poor connection, or interference picked up by the jumper wires. I’d really suggest trying the board connected directly to the Pi if you can (just watch that the heatsink doesn’t short anything on the bottom of the board). That’ll immediately tell you if the jumpers are an issue.

Out of curiosity, is that the replacement screen or the original? It’d be interesting to see if the original still works.

@Extra_Fox Sorry about that, I shouldn’t have put the listing of the SPI1 pins in there.
I’ve been using both so my crib list has both. As Shoe mentioned the Enviro+ uses SPI0 CE1.
Anyway you have made some good progress, all is not lost it seems. It’s almost fuly functional from the screen shots.
If you haven’t already, if you can, try it connected directly to a Pi. If the last issue goes away you know its the wiring.

As you are using eight 5-way jumper wires (and not 40 separate wires!), you can fairly easily tell that that the wiring is OK. This is actually more reliable that individually connecting only the pins that are needed.

In the pinout diagram at Enviro Plus at Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout, it is only data pins with a light background that are used (ie pins 3, 5, 8, 10, 12 etc). The lablelling tells you which sensors are connected to which. There must be power (3.3 and/or 5v and Ground) wiring needed too.

Okay, going to try a direct connect as I would agree, anytime we can eliminate my wiring is probably the best course of action. :D

@ExperiMentor yeah, it’s kind of hokey, but that was the connector I had on hand that worked out to a multiple of 20. I’ve got some 2-row, 20 pin connector housings on order though.

Thanks for the confirmation on how to read those pinouts. I thought that was the case, but I’m also seeing that maybe just connecting them all, sometimes, is for the best.

CONFIRMED My wiring is bunk. When connected direct, the screen appears to be fine. So if you’ll excuse my French; merde. What now? Is there any commercially available extension cable? And not the ones like Adafruit make because those flip the pin rows.

Isn’t this what you need? 40-pin GPIO extension cable for HATs and Mini HATs – Pimoroni

But it will not help if the problem is wires picking up noise , of course

If that one doesn’t flip the rows, then I think it might. I’m looking at some pin based extensions as well now. I may just buy everything at this point like a trip to the hardware store when I’m doing a plumbing project.

It doesn’t flip the rows, that’s what its made for. The rows get flipped when you try to change the female to female to a female to male by plugging a double ended male header in one end.

Forgot to mention, sucks that its the wiring / jumpers, but good to know the Enviro+ is OK.

I tried with a short extender I had on hand an it still seems to work. I think what I’m going to do now is mount it that way, but 3D print a heat shield to separate the two modules and just be done with this.

One day, one, day, I’m going to look back at this and laugh.

Again, thank you all for your help here. I’m grateful for the support.

A proto zero with a stacking header between the enviro and pi might be enough? Also gives you something to mount standoffs to. And wire stuff up to.

Yes, I’m thinking I’ll whip this all together here and show off what I come up with. It’s actually a lot tidier than having the big birds nest of wires and now I’m kind of wishing I’d done it this way to begin with.

Glad you got it working!

So in all likelihood, it was my wiring this entire time. Clearly an area I need improvement. I’m betting that even though I cooked the screen for a bit, that didn’t really bother it all that much apart from burning off some of the ribbon coating.

I suppose the upshot to all this is I know it’s pretty simple to change the screen.

I have one build that runs 24/7 and every now and then it glitches and locks up. I’m pretty sure its the wiring / jumpers going to the remote mounted BME680. I have a replacement ribbon cable I want to solder in and ditch the headers / plugs. Just have to find my round 2it.

Nice to see you got it working. Looks really nice too. =)

1 Like