Blinkt: subtle colors

This is not a critical problem, but I thought I’d ask.

Even if I make sure the brightness is 1 (confirmed using 1.0/31.0; docs & code say brightness is 5 bits), the LEDs lowest on-value is very bright. When slowly pulsing subtler color mixes (where, say R & G both eventually come on, but are not equal), I see one component light up before the second kicks in. My orangish colors start out red and my heart skips a beat thinking my Pi is screaming “Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!” - it’s a first world problem, but I’d like to make things a bit more subtle.

My question: is this just the way the LEDs are? If not, what am I doing wrong, programming wise?

I’m currently using the Python libraries; when I first bought the Blinkt, I was using my own C code and I think I had the same issue.

The solution in the post below might work if there isn’t a software fix or workaround, though I think I’d like to 3D print a nice diffuser out of translucent PLA.

Yes, very bright and the response is non-linear. I use a diffuser (simple white PLA, not even translucent). Have you tried PWM to reduce brightness?

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

I haven’t tried PWM - the update rate through the Python library seems far too slow, but I may dig a bit deeper to see if I can update faster. I also thought these “smart” LEDs built-in controller did PWM, but maybe that’s wrong.

I’ll go the diffuser route and see if I can improve things a bit.

Thanks again!

You are right. Brightness is built into the driver and adding a second level of PWM might be just too slow.