BME680 Air Quality low?

Ive found that when this happens, the cause is typically the script running twice resulting in the hot plate getting to twice the targeted temperature.

For example, If my baseline is 130,000 ohms, the read-all script calls for the hot plate to heat to 300, but if I have nodered running in the background and it is polling the sensor because I forgot to delete a configuration, the read-all script would also call for the hot plate to heat to 300, resulting in the hot plate actually heating to 600, and the readings being either unusable or significantly higher than what they should be, for me it was 260,000+ ohms. I did have it continuously heat several times, sending the resistance to the moon.

I purchased my BME680 when they first came out after playing around with the BME280. I largely stopped my project because I had spent a lot of time learning python on PI, and moved on to the next project. Ive picked it up again in the past week now that a RPI library has been released. (Maybe I Somehow missed it at the time?)

Blockquote
The much easier, but perhaps less easy to interpret, way to do all of this is just to plot the raw resistance readings and humidity readings and then look at the trends and interpret falls and rises. For instance, you look at a day’s worth of readings and see that there was a rise in gas resistance readings when you came home in the evening and opened the bedroom window, or there was a rise in humidity during the night when you were lying in bed sweating and breathing, and so on… Less easy to instantly interpret, but probably more informative.

Perhaps the ultimate approach is to do both, and then compare the indoor air quality score through time to the raw readings and events, and see how much sense they make…?

Blockquote

This is pretty close to how Bosch is solving this problem. Theyre about to release an array of bme680s on an adafruit esp board preloaded with BSEC AI. The sample program is able to detect the different types of coffee beans.

I’ve had a BME680 for some time and would really like to be able to use it with MicroPython and the display on my Pico Explorer.
Any chance of a suitable driver soon?

I’ve tried to edit the Adafruit module but I get stuck on the line:

super().__init__(refresh_rate=refresh_rate)

which falls over with a OS Error 5 ???

I thought we had a solution here with Adafruit Blinka et al built into the Pimoroni UF2 v 2.1 but I am still having a problem.

# SPDX-FileCopyrightText: 2021 ladyada for Adafruit Industries
# SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT
from pimoroni_i2c import PimoroniI2C

PINS_PICO_EXPLORER = {"sda": 20, "scl": 21}
#i2c = PimoroniI2C(**PINS_BREAKOUT_GARDEN)

import time
import board
import adafruit_bme680
import busio

# Create sensor object, communicating over the board's default I2C bus
#i2c = board.I2C()  # uses board.SCL and board.SDA
i2c = PimoroniI2C(**PINS_PICO_EXPLORER)
bme680 = adafruit_bme680.Adafruit_BME680_I2C(i2c, debug=False)

# change this to match the location's pressure (hPa) at sea level
bme680.sea_level_pressure = 1013.25

# You will usually have to add an offset to account for the temperature of
# the sensor. This is usually around 5 degrees but varies by use. Use a
# separate temperature sensor to calibrate this one.
temperature_offset = -5

while True:
    print("\nTemperature: %0.1f C" % (bme680.temperature + temperature_offset))
    print("Gas: %d ohm" % bme680.gas)
    print("Humidity: %0.1f %%" % bme680.relative_humidity)
    print("Pressure: %0.3f hPa" % bme680.pressure)
    print("Altitude = %0.2f meters" % bme680.altitude)

time.sleep(1)

MicroPython v1.15 on 2021-05-20; Raspberry Pi Pico with RP2040

Type “help()” for more information.

%Run -c $EDITOR_CONTENT
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 17, in
File “adafruit_bme680.py”, line 430, in init
ImportError: no module named ‘adafruit_bus_device’

It appears to need the full strength "adafruit_bus_device" rather than busio

I’ve plugged the BME680 into the SDA and SCL black sockets on the Pico Explorer. The full sized bme680.py has been installed on the Pico.

Help, please.