Brightness syntax micropython for 5X5 RGB matrix

Hello,

Is brightness control available on micropython for the 5x5 RGB matrix ?
I do see it on the python examples and tried a few syntaxes but it looks like the module does not support any.

Thank you.

Global Brightness is a tricky thing to implement on RGB LED Matrixes.
I ran into this with my Interstate75. I had to roll my own. You may have to do the same.
Interstate 74 W, how do you control the display brightness? - Support - Pimoroni Buccaneers

Thank you,
I didn’t know its such an issue on led matrixes. My Unicorn has brightness buttons. I realise that’s hardware but I thought it could be also done in software.
I am not sure why I seem to remember that there is something that works in python. I’ll have to connect it to a pi and see.

Let me know what you find when connected to a Pi. I don’t have that breakout, just so you know. Many many other RGB LED Matrixes Pi and Pico based here though. Mostly Pimoroni Unicorn variants.

On Pico Unicorns, that have brightness buttons, its also done via software. Those buttons just go to GP pins on the RP2040. You can repurpose them for other functions if you want. The labeling is just a convivence thing.

cu.set_brightness(0.5)

if cu.is_pressed(CosmicUnicorn.SWITCH_BRIGHTNESS_UP):
        cu.adjust_brightness(+0.01)

if cu.is_pressed(CosmicUnicorn.SWITCH_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN):
        cu.adjust_brightness(-0.01)

So then why is not possible for the matrix as well?
Unicorn is driven by a pico,same like the matrix.

The library for the device has to support it. As I found out in that thread I linked too.

Yes,thank you. I think so too. I think the matrix library for micropython does not support the brightness,but I wasn’t sure and I thought I’ll ask.

Doesn’t hurt to ask, especially if your not sure about something. I may have confused things with that other reply.
Implementing global brightness can be very complex depending on the hardware in use. The type of RGB LED’s used, and what chips are used to drive the LED’s. Hardware does factor into it.

I got it to work on my RGB LED Matrix with the Interstate 75. I’m very pleased with the results, and very glad I took the time to figure out a solution.
It’s in my Livingroom room by the front door displaying the outdoor temperature and humidity; and the barometric pressure. A quick glance tells me how warm to dress. Right now that room is pitch black. It’s at its minimum brightness, and still very easy to read. If it was at full bright it would be obtrusive. Later on when the sun comes up, it gets very bright in here. That’s when it auto adjusts the brightness up so you can still read it. An LTR-559 does the light measurements.
This stuff can be a whole lot of fun. I’ve had my fair share of frustration, but its very rewarding when you figure out a solution. =)