DFRobot 2.8 USB TFT Pi 2 Raspbian Setup Guide ( Advanced )

Don’t forget to install the kernel headers- I forget what the package name is! Ah - raspberrypi-kernel-headers

Already done, but tried again to check:

sudo apt install raspberrypi-kernel-headers
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
raspberrypi-kernel-headers is already the newest version (1.20180924-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.

Possibly a mismatch between raspberry-kernel-headers and the kernel itself. Have you used rpi-update* at any point? May also be worth doing an sudo apt get upate and sudo apt get upgrade.

* - note, if you haven’t used rpi-update. Don’t! It’s - despite the choice of name - not really an update utility.

Done all of the above. Maybe the rpi-update has caused the problem. Maybe I’ll try again with a fresh image.

If you’ve used rpi-update then, yes, it will cause the problem since it side-loads a kernel that apt knows nothing about, and for which a kernel header package wont yet be available. It’s possible to get on track with the current stable kernel without reflashing a whole image:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libraspberrypi0 libraspberrypi-{bin,dev,doc} raspberrypi-bootloader
sudo reboot

I think it’s possible to also sideload kernel headers using rpi-update but unless you really need some feature or bugfix available in a pre-release kernel you should just be using stable.