Display-O-Tron 3000

A stylish and capable 3x16 character display with 3 RGB backlights to give you D.I.S.C.O capability.
Since we had spare channels, we put in a handy 9-segment bar-graph for indicators. There’s also a 4-direction joystick with a push button for navigation, and as usual, with full Pimoroni Python support so you can get up and running easily.

The DoT3k works with A, B and B+ Raspberry Pi’s, and also fits inside V2/B+ Pibows, although you’ll not be able to get to the joystick without hacks.

http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/displayotron-3000

Do we have code for the device on github yet?

Also LCDproc support?

We’ll be pushing an update to that tomorrow with some final tweaks!

You can also “sudo pip install dot3k” but you’ll want to see the GitHub repo for instructions and examples.

I’ve been working on some tweaks to the redrawing for the Menu framework- I envision this as being what most people want out of an LCD and would love to see some contributed plugins!

I have also written Debris, a game plugin where you control a little ship and avoid rocks. It has a habit of randomly going “BOOM!” and ending the game when it’s obvious you haven’t collided with a rock though…

Feedback on the code is appreciated!

I’ll let you know when I have a screen to test it with hint hint :wink:

I would like the see the game! But will it work on other displays… As usual my wife said no to buying one…

When is the next sale on boys!?

I wouldn’t embark on such an endeavor, but to anyone willing I’d say it would be pretty trivial to port the whole menu framework to any 3 line display, and probably even 2 line or 4 line. Plugins expecting 3 lines wont fare so well on 2, though, without some fudge!

I ordered mine last night. I’m really looking forward to making some stuff with it. First, I think I might make a twitter monitor.

Quick question, what sort of power supply is recommended? (i.e how many amps will I need for optimum performance?) I currently have a 1.4A supply, will that do?

1.4A will be plenty :-)

1 Like

Eager to see some plugin contributions! I cant resist the temptation to work on the menu framework. Who’s got their DoT3k already?

Still waiting. Should be here soon…

@Gadgetoid Might it be an idea for one of us to make the plugin gallery thread that I mentioned on twitter? I can do it if you want.

1 Like

Oddly enough, I just mentioned that to @jon

I’ll stick it in projects, I guess!

Can anyone help? I just tried to install ‘dot3k’ via pip. I get this error:

Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): dot3k in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): st7036 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from dot3k)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): sn3218 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from dot3k)
Downloading/unpacking spidev (from st7036->dot3k)
Running setup.py egg_info for package spidev

Installing collected packages: spidev
Running setup.py install for spidev
building 'spidev' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/src/linux/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c spidev_module.c -o build/temp.linux-armv6l-2.7/spidev_module.o
spidev_module.c:20:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
Complete output from command /usr/bin/python -c "import setuptools;__file__='/home/pi/Desktop/build/spidev/setup.py';exec(compile(open(__file__).read().replace('\r\n', '\n'), __file__, 'exec'))" install --single-version-externally-managed --record /tmp/pip-daHILD-record/install-record.txt:
running install

running build

running build_ext

building 'spidev' extension

gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/src/linux/include -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c spidev_module.c -o build/temp.linux-armv6l-2.7/spidev_module.o

spidev_module.c:20:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------
Command /usr/bin/python -c "import      setuptools;__file__='/home/pi/Desktop/build/spidev/setup.py';exec(compile(open(__file__).read().replace('\r\n', '\n'), __file__, 'exec'))" install --single-version-externally-managed --record /tmp/pip-daHILD-record/install-record.txt failed with error code 1 in /home/pi/Desktop/build/spidev
Storing complete log in /root/.pip/pip.log

Any ideas?

You’ll need to: “sudo apt-get install python-dev” and try again.

Looks like I need to update the cover README.md on the GitHub repository to reflect this!

I’m afraid I’ve tried that and I was unsucessful. I’m currently downloading the latest version of raspbian on a rural connection; wish me luck!

Good luck! But it should have worked. Did apt-get report that python-dev installed successfully?

I believe so, but I have no way of checking at the moment.

1 Like

We have lift off! I have no installation problems now.

Awesome news, keep us posted!