Enviro Weather Board Voltage Readings

A Pimoroni Enviro Weather board running firmware v. 0.0.9 is configured to take and upload readings every 5 minutes (reading_frequency = 5 and upload_frequency = 1) . Sensor readings are uploaded to MQTT and received in a Raspberry Pi running Domoticz.

Until recently, the board was connected to power via USB directly. With that power arrangement no voltage reading, or to be more precise a reading of ‘voltage = 0’ was being uploaded.

Now a 2200 mAh Lithium Ion battery pack, which is in turn being charged by a LiPo Amigo Pro battery charger is supplying power to the board.

I was expecting that with the new power supply arrangement the board would start uploading voltage readings. That hasn’t happened and I not sure why.

Thank you for your help.

This is a post I made in another similar thread, might help you sort it out.
Charging Lipo batteries with Pico Lipo - Support - Pimoroni Buccaneers

Wired up my Amigo Pro to a Pico W setup.
With just the GND, and VDEV wired to VSYS, battery state of charge is displayed. Not sure its correct though? It’s seems to be stuck at 50%. And no way of knowing if its being charged, other than the indicator on the Amigo Pro. There is no detection of power being applied to the Amigo Pro via the python code. Battery will only charge if power is being feed to the Amigo Pro USB C jack. The On Off button on the Amiga Pro works. Need to do more testing in this mode to see if the code needs to be changed?

If I also wire up the +5V from the Amigo Pro to VBUS, the charging indication function works. And my battery state of charge now shows 90% when running only on battery. Which is about right, as it was fully charged when I put that battery in storage. Battery will also be charged if you power the Pico W via its Micro USB Jack. The ON Off button only works when “only” on Battery Power though.

EDIT: Charging LED turned off while I was typing this post

EDIT: 2
After running about 4 hours battery state went down to ~60%. That’s about right I think. It’s running a PICO W, two 320x240 LCD’s, and a couple of i2c breakouts. It’s one 2200 mAh battery, and I haven’t run this setup from battery before. Not for any length of time anyway. Just to test my code.

Thank you for your reply @alphanumeric

Your post appears to be more relevant to measuring the battery state of charge rather than getting readings of the board supply voltage.

My Raspberry Pi is a standard Pimoroni Enviro Weather (Pico W Aboard). That Pico W has onboard sensors to take readings of a range of weather and other parameters. One such parameter appears to be ‘voltage’, which I assume means the Pico W supply voltage.

My Pico W is now being powered up by a LiPo Amigo Pro charger and Lithium Ion battery pack (2200 mAh) wired up as sown below.

In the main, board sensors appear to be working. Readings are uploaded to MQTT in a timely fashion. There is only one exception, the parameter ‘voltage’ is always uploaded with the value: ‘voltage’ = 0, which is clearly wrong.

Im quite new to this hardware and micro Python, so any help troubleshooting this issue will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ah, OK. I’ll have a look at the code example and get back to you. Might be also worth looking at the schematic. I have a bunch of Pi and Pico based weather setups here. Local weather via BME280 etc’s. No MQTT stuff, its something I have planned, just have to find my round 2it.
All I have here is clones of the Pico Enviro boards. Pico W with a QWICC conector / adapter to remote mounted sensors.

Your going to have to post the code your using, I’m not seeing anything relevant in the code I found. I didn’t see anything in the schematic either. Wind Vane (direction) maybe?

Thank you for your reply @alphanumeric

Schematic? not sure where I can get one… I haven’t come across one.

Regarding the code, I guess you mean the ‘weather.py’ (code is listed below), which appears to be the code handling all the weather sensors (temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, rain, etc.).

Incidentally, if that is the code, then it doesn’t appear to include handling a battery voltage sensor. The only references to voltage in that code are in the wind direction handling section.

I understand wind direction is detected by measuring voltage drop across resistors in the wind vane. So a reference to voltage in that section would appear to have little to do with battery voltage.

Another pointer in that direction is that the ‘voltage’ parameter appears missing from the code section at the end, where all weather parameter values are returned.

Having said that, even though it doesn’t appear to be generated by this code, a ‘voltage’ = 0 is uploaded to MQTT every time.

import time, math, os

from breakout_bme280 import BreakoutBME280

from breakout_ltr559 import BreakoutLTR559

from machine import Pin, PWM

from pimoroni import Analog

from enviro import i2c, activity_led

import enviro.helpers as helpers

from phew import logging

from enviro.constants import WAKE_REASON_RTC_ALARM, WAKE_REASON_BUTTON_PRESS

# amount of rain required for the bucket to tip in mm

RAIN_MM_PER_TICK = 0.2794

# distance from the centre of the anemometer to the centre

# of one of the cups in cm

WIND_CM_RADIUS = 7.0

# scaling factor for wind speed in m/s

WIND_FACTOR = 0.0218

bme280 = BreakoutBME280(i2c, 0x77)

ltr559 = BreakoutLTR559(i2c)

wind_direction_pin = Analog(26)

wind_speed_pin = Pin(9, Pin.IN, Pin.PULL_UP)

rain_pin = Pin(10, Pin.IN, Pin.PULL_DOWN)

last_rain_trigger = False

def startup(reason):

global last_rain_trigger

import wakeup

# check if rain sensor triggered wake

rain_sensor_trigger = wakeup.get_gpio_state() & (1 << 10)

if rain_sensor_trigger:

# read the current rain entries

rain_entries = []

if helpers.file_exists(“rain.txt”):

with open(“rain.txt”, “r”) as rainfile:

rain_entries = rainfile.read().split(“\n”)

# add new entry

logging.info(f"> add new rain trigger at {helpers.datetime_string()}")

rain_entries.append(helpers.datetime_string())

# limit number of entries to 190 - each entry is 21 bytes including

# newline so this keeps the total rain.txt filesize just under one

# filesystem block (4096 bytes)

rain_entries = rain_entries[-190:]

# write out adjusted rain log

with open(“rain.txt”, “w”) as rainfile:

rainfile.write(“\n”.join(rain_entries))

last_rain_trigger = True

# if we were woken by the RTC or a Poke continue with the startup

return (reason is WAKE_REASON_RTC_ALARM

or reason is WAKE_REASON_BUTTON_PRESS)

# there was no rain trigger so continue with the startup

return True

def check_trigger():

global last_rain_trigger

rain_sensor_trigger = rain_pin.value()

if rain_sensor_trigger and not last_rain_trigger:

activity_led(100)

time.sleep(0.05)

activity_led(0)

# read the current rain entries

rain_entries = []

# add new entry

logging.info(f"> add new rain trigger at {helpers.datetime_string()}")

rain_entries.append(helpers.datetime_string())

# limit number of entries to 190 - each entry is 21 bytes including

# newline so this keeps the total rain.txt filesize just under one

# filesystem block (4096 bytes)

rain_entries = rain_entries[-190:]

# write out adjusted rain log

with open(“rain.txt”, “w”) as rainfile:

rainfile.write(“\n”.join(rain_entries))

last_rain_trigger = rain_sensor_trigger

def wind_speed(sample_time_ms=1000):

# get initial sensor state

state = wind_speed_pin.value()

# create an array for each sensor to log the times when the sensor state changed

# then we can use those values to calculate an average tick time for each sensor

ticks = []

start = time.ticks_ms()

while time.ticks_diff(time.ticks_ms(), start) <= sample_time_ms:

now = wind_speed_pin.value()

if now != state: # sensor output changed

# record the time of the change and update the state

ticks.append(time.ticks_ms())

state = now

# if no sensor connected then we have no readings, skip

if len(ticks) < 2:

return 0

# calculate the average tick between transitions in ms

average_tick_ms = (time.ticks_diff(ticks[-1], ticks[0])) / (len(ticks) - 1)

if average_tick_ms == 0:

return 0

# work out rotation speed in hz (two ticks per rotation)

rotation_hz = (1000 / average_tick_ms) / 2

# calculate the wind speed in metres per second

circumference = WIND_CM_RADIUS * 2.0 * math.pi

wind_m_s = rotation_hz * circumference * WIND_FACTOR

return wind_m_s

def wind_direction():

# adc reading voltage to cardinal direction taken from our python

# library - each array index represents a 45 degree step around

# the compass (index 0 == 0, 1 == 45, 2 == 90, etc.)

# we find the closest matching value in the array and use the index

# to determine the heading

ADC_TO_DEGREES = (0.9, 2.0, 3.0, 2.8, 2.5, 1.5, 0.3, 0.6)

closest_index = -1

last_index = None

# ensure we have two readings that match in a row as otherwise if

# you read during transition between two values it can glitch

# fixes Wind direction reading can be off when taken during transition · Issue #20 · pimoroni/enviro · GitHub

while True:

value = wind_direction_pin.read_voltage()

closest_index = -1

closest_value = float(‘inf’)

for i in range(8):

distance = abs(ADC_TO_DEGREES[i] - value)

if distance < closest_value:

closest_value = distance

closest_index = i

if last_index == closest_index:

break

last_index = closest_index

return closest_index * 45

def rainfall(seconds_since_last):

amount = 0

now = helpers.timestamp(helpers.datetime_string())

# count how many rain ticks since the last reading

for entry in rain_entries:

if entry:

ts = helpers.timestamp(entry)

if now - ts < seconds_since_last:

amount += RAIN_MM_PER_TICK

os.remove(“rain.txt”)

per_second = 0

if seconds_since_last > 0:

per_second = amount / seconds_since_last

return amount, per_second

def get_sensor_readings(seconds_since_last):

# bme280 returns the register contents immediately and then starts a new reading

# we want the current reading so do a dummy read to discard register contents first

bme280.read()

time.sleep(0.1)

bme280_data = bme280.read()

ltr_data = ltr559.get_reading()

rain, rain_per_second = rainfall(seconds_since_last)

from ucollections import OrderedDict

return OrderedDict({

“temperature”: round(bme280_data[0], 2),

“humidity”: round(bme280_data[2], 2),

“pressure”: round(bme280_data[1] / 100.0, 2),

“luminance”: round(ltr_data[BreakoutLTR559.LUX], 2),

“wind_speed”: wind_speed(),

“rain”: rain,

“rain_per_second”: rain_per_second,

“wind_direction”: wind_direction()

})

From the releases page:

One of the big causes of instability of past versions came from the introduction of battery monitoring. The pin to do this is shared with the Pico W’s WiFi chip, and it seems there is no 100% safe way to read this without causing connection or other communication issues. Unfortunately the only way to get around this, for now, was to disable the battery monitoring on Enviro 😢

If you want to try re-enabling the voltage monitoring (I’ve had it running on my Enviros with no problems) you could uncomment this section in /enviro/init.py (starting from line 108)

@jmg There is a link to the schematic on the shop page.

@hel Thanks for that info.

Thank you for your feedback @hel and @alphanumeric

The current version not only appears very unstable and temperamental, but also difficult to recover from hiccups and troubleshoot. As far as I am aware, resetting the board is the only recovery option available and plugging the board into a computer USB port is the only troubleshooting mechanism.

So when something goes wrong, and that could happen at any time because the unit appears to always be on a knife edge, recovery options are quite limited: either physically pressing the reset button or power the board OFF and back ON again. When the unit is battery powered both recovery options mean having to climb up to the top of a pole to reset it.

Troubleshooting is even more complicated because it needs the board physically connected to a computer USB port and then, for some reason, the unit stops behaving as it would do when under USB power.

For those reasons, running the unit on USB power appears to be the sensible option. The unit might be unstable, but being able to switch power OFF and back ON again easily seems to make or an easy recovery.

That, of course negates one gf the major points of this unit’s design, its low battery power consumption. USB power also appears to affect the temperature sensor and cause it to read a bit higher temperature. But these appear a price worth paying.

Once again, thanks for your help.