Errors building libraries on Windows

Hi all

I’m probably running before I can walk as I’m still pretty new to the Pico, but having successfully built the pico-examples and pico-extras demos, and a few simple programs of my own in C on my Windows 10 machine, I thought I’d be able to build the example programs from the pimoroni-pico repository, specifically as I wanted to have a play with my new pico explorer and breakouts. I’m happier in C than Python, but I’m having issues building the examples.

Configuration runs through without any warnings or errors, but building any of the programs fails with the error below (this is when trying to build [all])

[build] [  3%] Linking CXX executable dotmatrix_bargraph.elf
[build] AR10B2~1.EXE: error: CMakeFiles/dotmatrix_bargraph.dir/bargraph.cpp.obj: No such file or directory
[build] NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\PROGRA~2\GNUARM~1\102020~1\bin\AR10B2~1.EXE' : return code '0x1'
[build] Stop.
[build] NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\bin\HostX86\x86\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
[build] Stop.

The file there that it says is missing exists:

C:\pico\pimoroni-pico>dir build\examples\breakout_dotmatrix\bargraph\CMakeFiles\dotmatrix_bargraph.dir\bargraph.cpp.obj
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 0A61-30AA

Directory of C:\pico\pimoroni-pico\build\examples\breakout_dotmatrix\bargraph\CMakeFiles\dotmatrix_bargraph.dir

21/07/2021  21:01            37,168 bargraph.cpp.obj
               1 File(s)         37,168 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  115,841,667,072 bytes free

C:\pico\pimoroni-pico>

I’m afraid that’s as far as I get, and I’m completely stuck as to where to look next - any help very gratefully received …

Thanks,
David

Well, that was quick - in case anyone else has a similar issue …

This post on the raspberry pi forums that I hadn’t found earlier led me to try out an older version of CMake (3.20.5) and all built OK :)

David

1 Like