PIM522 Questions

Hello,
I just picked up a PIM522 RGB Rotary Encoder and have a few questions:

1. What is the function of the of the INT pin? I hooked it up to my scope and saw some movement when rotating the encoder knob, but couldn’t get an idea of what it was doing. I’ve read this thread, so I gather that it’s probably an interrupt, but what for exactly?

2. I’m new to I2C. The RGB LED is supposed to be controllable by PWM, which I assume done via I2C, but how do I determine what signals/data to send?

3. Lastly, the PIM522 uses a Nuvoton MS51 mcu. Is this programmable over I2C as well?

The PIM522 is not currently stocked, and I’m unsure whether it has been discontinued. However, it would be great if more documentation were made available, as you can still get it from other suppliers like Digikey and Mouser.

Thanks for your time!
Tristan

PS - I’m working with the Raspberry PI Pico and the Pico C SDK.

The Micro Python and C libraries are here, linked too from the product page.
pimoroni/pimoroni-pico: Libraries and examples to support Pimoroni Pico add-ons in C++ and MicroPython. (github.com)
Dig down and you will eventually find the Micro python demo file for it.
pimoroni-pico/micropython/examples/breakout_encoder at main · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico (github.com)
The C stuff is I believe here,
pimoroni-pico/libraries/breakout_encoder at main · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico (github.com)

1 Like

Beautiful, thank you! This will be enough to get me going!

1 Like