I was just looking through Pimoroni’s pulseaudio installer (which is part of the installation for Speaker pHAT). Is there any repo where this installer lives and / or where the reasoning behind it is explained?
My understanding is that, on a high level, it’s doing these things:
- Purges and reinstalls pulseaudio (to get original config files)
The patches specifically seem to:
- Set pulseaudio as a service running in system mode. This seems discouraged by the pulseaudio team, but I’m guessing the idea is to save resources?
- Enables local socket
/tmp/pulseaudio.socket- I’m guessing to make system mode work.
- Enables a TCP socket that only accepts local connections - I don’t really understand why this is needed?
- Enables pivumeter if available.
- Sets a timeout for module-suspend-on-idle.
Is my understanding here correct? What’s the reason for enabling TCP and, for that matter, system mode in the first place?