Problems with "always on" leds on Blinkt?

Hi,

if a led on the blink-strip is always on, does this cause problems (e.g. reduced lifetime)?

Thanks, Bernhard

You mean one you’ve specifically instructed to turn on? Or is it coming on by itself at startup (sometimes happens due to noise getting interpreted as signal)?

Imagine the following scheme: Blinkt will show the current temperature, with e.g. 8 leds=23° down to 1 led=16° (additional ranges implemented with additional colors). So the least significant leds will always be on. Can I expect problems with such an implementation?

Not at all, the chances of you making a significant impact on the lifetime of the LEDs is slim! It may start to wear out in around 5, 10 or 20 years if something else doesn’t fail first.

How do I turn the LEDs off? I tried a little code that said:

import blinkt
blinkt.clear()

but it didn’t switch them off.

You could always use blinkt.set_clear_on_exit(), or if that fails, just set the RGB of the LEDs to 0 like so: blinkt.set_all(0, 0, 0).

Thanks very much. I tried blinkt.set_clear … but either I got it wrong or
it didn’t work.

Of course setting everything to 0 is good.

Thanks,

Anne

In a message dated 21-Jul-17 3:56:03 P.M. GMT Daylight Time,
pimoroni@discoursemail.com writes:

_RaspberryPicardBox_ (http://forums.pimoroni.com/u/raspberrypicardbox) 

July 21

You could always use blinkt.set_clear_on_exit(), or if that fails, just
set the RGB of the LEDs to 0 like so: blinkt.set_all(0, 0, 0).

Don’t forget blinkt.show().

blinkt.clear() does not implicitly call show, just in case you want to set some pixels after clearing the display.

You are so right gadgetoid. This was how I solved it:

from blinkt import set_pixel

for pixel in range(8):

r = 0
   g = 0
   b = 0
  set_pixel(pixel, r, g, b)
  show()

The indenting doesn’t show and I don’t know how to put that right.

In order to indent any code you might post, simply put three back ticks ``` at the beginning and the end of your code. For example:

#```
code here...
#```

Forget the hashes, I just needed to comment them out to stop early termination. :)