Raspberry Pi 5

It’s also worth noting that this is the “CPU at full load” consumption, which you may not actually need depending on what you’re doing. The recommendation was for a 3A supply for the Pi 4, but they also note the “Typical bare-board active current consumption” to be 600 mA. I was able to boot a Pi 4 with USB OTG mode on a 900mA USB port, and even if it did occasionally throw power warnings it worked fine for a bit of Python development.

Out of curosity Alphanumeric, what did you need those power supplies for? Lots of LEDs?

@Shoe
Yes, lots of LED’s. I use a 4A version on my Interstate 75 which has a 64 x 64 LED matrix attached. I may not have needed it but I had it on hand so I used it.

Another 4A version powers my Breadboarding Rig. I didn’t want to get the under voltage warning if I was testing multiple motors or servos, etc.

My 10A version actually powers multiple Pi’s. It has 3 Micro USB and 1 USC C pigtails wired up to it.

They all have this connector wired in so I can swap what cable / pigtail I want to use.
T Connector Male-Female Pair (pimoroni.com)

Ah, very cool. Those matrices are great, I’ve got one of the 64x64 versions and a Matrix Portal but sadly haven’t done too much with it yet. Using the 10A supply for multiple Pis is a great idea.

What I did, was buy these, cut them in half, and only wire up the + and -.
Mote Module Cables – 200cm (pimoroni.com)
For USB C I’d buy one of these, and cut the USB A off. It’s Ok for a Pi 4B.
USB-C to USB-A Cable – 1m (pimoroni.com)

@Shoe
I started with a Matrix Portal, but struggled with Adafruit’s Circuit Python graphics.
When the Interstate 75 W was released I switched to it.
My matrix is actually two 64 x 32 panels, 128 x 32, as far as Pico Graphics is concerned.
Which required me to get creative to get it to work as a physical 64 x 64.

Yep, it’s not well documented. To be fair, neither were the old Pimoroni graphics modules which is why I ended up writing documentation for it. I don’t think PicoGraphics is overly well done either, but have only got about half of that documented myself.

Interesting that you can chain PicoGraphics matrices like that, do you then daisy-chain the data connection using the ribbon cable connectors on the back of the panels?

I wonder how well the Pi 5 will be able to drive those. Rumours are that the RP1 chip contains an M0 or M4 core, and I’ve seen a few people ask whether or not it can be programmed like a sub-processor on the board. If you could, then the Pi could worry about graphics, and the RP1 could worry about pushing those to the displays.

@Shoe
With Circuit Python I can do the following
base_width = 64 (width of individual panel)
base_height = 32 (height of individual panel)
chain_across = 1 (not chained across)
tile_down = 2 (2 panels tiled down)
serpentine = False (no panels flipped / turned)

But no can do with Micro Python.
Interstate 75 with multiple HUB-75 LED matrix panels - Support - Pimoroni Buccaneers

I’d like to know if the Hyperpixel 4.0 Touch (oblong) will work.
I know that the GPIO config is the same but it is now going through a completely different route (RP1) and Hyperpixel uses all of them.

Seeing the Touch model as out of stock here which makes me wonder.

I have the hyperpixel touch round and oblong and when my Pi 5 turns up like magic - it is one of the things I will be testting

Anyone had a Pimoroni shipping notice yet for RPi5?
My order was in by 08:20 on announcement day and I see that Raspberry Pi shop in Cambridge has them on their shelves (I know they are a special case).

Just seen yesterday’s post of discussion between Even and James Adam on RPi site … looks like it could be 2 weeks before resellers fulfil Raspberry Pi magazine subscribers priority queue.

Just arrived in the past from another supplier in the UK

1 Like