SpeakerPhat - unresponsive - is it comaptible with Touchscreen?

I have assembled the SpeakerPhat without problems, and now tried it on 2 or 3 Rpis with the latest Raspian/Pixel software - checked to be up to date - and downloaded the ‘single line’ install routine… but failed to see or hear any sign of life from the speaker or LEDs. I have tried YouTube videos as a test - in the apparent absence of a suggested procedure. I have had to include an insulating spacer to prevent the speaker touching even the 6mm heatsink on the Pi3 - and I reconnected the LCD power leads to the other side of the Rpi board so as to avoid that conflict.

I noted that the install script appreared to turn audio settings on and off, and looking at the Audio Settings Menu after installation, no audio is present.
Is there a checklist by which one can confirm the hardware and software installation? - With a PiTop speaker one can check its i2c address, for example.

Since the later text about the VU meter and Repository is AFTER the instruction that all is done and to enjoy … what relevence has it to testing a Spekerphat ???
Puzzled. Should I have just attached a powered mini speaker to the audio jack?

There’s no conflict with the touchscreen I’m aware of and, unfortunately, no way for the Pi to “see” the Speaker pHAT in any meaningful way. i2s audio is write-only- a software configuration that outputs a digital audio signal on the right pins. The Pi side of things doesn’t care if there’s a DAC even connected!

My guess is soldering- did you use a hammer header, or solder? Could you post a photo of your pHAT?

Now for a 3rd attempt following this response…
1 photo deleted

We’re sorry, but your email message to
[“pimoroni+a3b97f9264c0e1a0a555cfbb7a2c56de@discoursemail.com”] (titled Re:
[Pimoroni Buccaneers] [Support] SpeakerPhat - unresponsive - is it comaptible with
Touchscreen?) didn’t work.

Reason:

Sorry, new users can only put one image in a post.

If you can correct the problem, please try again.

Phil:How to get put off dealing with a company!!!

Cutting and pasting your address for a reply bounces ! Resent as a reply to…

Speaker pads on PCB and speaker both measure approximately 8 ohms across implying
the speaker should be functional. No sign of life on LEDs either.
All 40 pins of connector check as making contact with no shorts.

By ‘hammer’ connector are you referring to IDC crimp connectors? / headers I
soldered the supplied components using lead free solder and a temp controlled iron.
( hence lumpier appearance than with lead based solder)

Install routine one liner tried on 2 devices after ensuring a vanilla pixel current
installation. … Tried both on rpi touchscreen connected and another,hdmi screen
with inbuilt speakers which confirmed audio present and working from you tube video
without speakerphat installation physically or firmware.

Would have expected the downloaded software to provide a simple functionality test.
However the file content simply seems to list possible sources and settings.

A first impression of the forum is that it is more concerned with awarding badges to
further clutter the screen than simply have product based sections ?? Searching on
speakerphat found 2 or 3 items separated but always some other ‘junk’ threads above
presumably as sticky topics.

Noted that installation script appears to turn audio on and off… But after
completion and reboot audio setting is blank. ( no pcm ‘option’ as previously )

Readme files seem to cause confusion as to whether other routines designed for a vu
meter only board also need to be run. But real useful suggestions of how to
test…espeak presumably reads text files. …

What is the expected effect of having run the install software if the speakerphat is
removed?? Do I need to remove it … I have since done a complete reinstall of the
default software and upgrade in case. Not how I wanted to spend Friday 8-(

Rgds
Phil

There’s no conflict with the touchscreen I’m aware of and, unfortunately, no way
for the Pi to “see” the Speaker pHAT in any meaningful way. i2s audio is
write-only- a software configuration that outputs a digital audio signal on the
right pins. The Pi side of things doesn’t care if there’s a DAC even connected!

My guess is soldering- did you use a hammer header, or solder? Could you post a
photo of your pHAT?

Visit
Topic

or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click
here

rgds
Phil

rgds
Phil

Could you gently reheat physical pin 35/BCM 19 until the solder flows into the joint and covers the gold ring? This is the only joint that looks troublesome, but also happens to be vital to the digital audio signal.

These are the I2S/PCM pins: https://pinout.xyz/pinout/pcm

Phil: Pin connections including 35 rechecked as okay without any soldering.
I did however, then ‘improve’ the ‘cones’ by redoing all connections
However this made no apparent difference - no response visually or aurally.

So…
Opted to reload the software again - this time also photographically logging the
process to be able to read easily … but this time I was using a B+ instead of a
3B, and so the process was noticeably slower and easier to read.

PARTIAL LOG… ( log suggests some if not all previouly installed )…