Speaker PHAT no sound

I have set up 2 piano, drum hats with a speaker phat on top. These are on a phat stack with my raspberry pi 3.

I followed these instructions: https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/sandyj/build-an-itty-bitty-beat-box

My speaker is lighting up when I use the piano and the drum, however no sound.

Looking for help. Thanks!

I of each, as in 1 drum hat and one piano hat?
You soldered the jumper wires to the speaker right?

Yes one piano and one drum. Also i soldered the speaker to the copper points. The lights work but no sounds.

Ok, that covers that basics. If you follow the link from the product page you’ll end up here, https://github.com/pimoroni/speaker-phat
I see some test suit entries there that might help sort out what’s wrong.

I have this problem too. I have followed the github instructions for set up. The lights flash up when I run the mp3 using cvlc via putty but no sound. I have soldered the wires to the speaker and they look ok. ANy ideas why there might not be sound?

I don’t have any ideas but @gadgetoid might have some ideas.

Could you post a picture of your header/speaker soldering please @grahamjroy?

I’m using the Pogo-a-go-go Solderless GPIO Pogo Pins. This might be the issue as they aren’t really long enough to support the distance needed to fit the speaker. They do just about get into the phat.

Photo%2006-04-2018%2C%2014%2014%2048Photo%2006-04-2018%2C%2014%2005%2026

Do you have a spare pogo to connect the 3v3 pin- physical pin #17

(I have a pending update to pinout to document that this pin is now required)

Sure. I’ll give that a try. Do I need to add a ground pin? I have been but can’t see if it is needed.

Yes, you’ll need to connect a couple of ground pins at least, or it simply wont work at all. (they are marked as small pips on Pinout.xyz to avoid visual noise, so they’re often overlooked)

As for which ground pins, I believe you could get away with just physical pins 9 and 39. Most of the other ground pins are not isolated, but are behind the slot for the LEDs so they’re of minimal importance.

Same result, sorry. I used all of the pins for as many of the ground connections as I could. I’ll have a got at soldering all of them and the other pins. I think there’s a problem with the i2c connection.

pi@mirrorPi:~/Pimoroni/speakerphat/test $ i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --

I’ve enabled it in the raspi-config

Thanks for help

Try:

sudo i2cdetect -q 1

The sn3218 chip is write-only and doesn’t respond to the read request that -y 1 uses for device detection.

Hi.

I have hooked up all the pins as advised, all the ground pins and the additional 3v3 pin #17) and I can still just get the lights showing it’s playing ok but no sound. I have ran the i2cdetect and I get:

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f

00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- 54 – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --

Any ideas where there’s still no sound? I am running it headless using

cvlc test.mp3

if that makes a difference.

My brain hurts trying to follow that wiring, but I’d suggest triple-checking it. This is suggested from much experience.

Do you have a ribbon cable to connect the two, and see if the sound works that way? That would be the quickest and easiest way to eliminate a wiring issue from the equation.

I destroyed one of my speaker’s connectors while soldering. My soldering iron was too hot. Is it possible to get a replacement? Or any order number ?

I’m not sure, but we’re quite often very accommodating of soldering mishaps. You should drop support@pimoroni.com an email if you haven’t already.

What are you using for a soldering iron? How many watts? I only ask because it may be inappropriate for this type of soldering. I’d hate to see you damage something else trying to get this working.