Speaker pHat problem

hi
i just bought a speaker pHat from maplin i did the soldering i check continuity everything fine, i install the software i test with the test.py script the Vu meter work but the speaker didn’t. on booting process i heard a crackling noise from the speaker but nothing more, i try to see if it was detect on the i2c bus with i2cdetect cmd but no address for the pHat

thx

Matt

1 Like

The test.py script doesn’t test audio, just the LEDs IIRC.

Try something like speaker-test -c 2 -t wav

still no sound

What do you see if you run aplay -L and aplay -l?

image[quote=“gadgetoid, post:4, topic:7148”]
aplay -L
[/quote]

Software setup looks sensible. Could you post a photo of your soldering?

Hmm, try:

speaker-test -c 2 -t wav -D hw:0,0

If the speaker is crackling it’s getting power, the soldering looks okay, and the software setup looks okay.

There are a couple of joints on your header that could do with a slight retouch. Perhaps go over it carefully reheating the joints until they flow into little cones without adding any new solder.

[quote=“gadgetoid, post:9, topic:7148”]
speaker-test -c 2 -t wav -D hw:0,0
[/quote]

i think i will try with a fresh install of raspbian jessie lite

That “Device or resource busy” error is Pulse Audio.

Try: sudo systemctl pulseaudio stop

Then: speaker-test -c 2 -t wav -D hw:0,0

i just reinstall a fresh copy of rasbian jessie lite, did the setup but still received the same msg « device or resources busy.

but i try something else i went in the file speakerphat and i try the cmd aplay test.wav and the vumeter and the speaker was working but with the mp3 file its a big fail :/

thx

Sorry it should be:

sudo systemctl stop pulseaudio

I keep getting systemd and systemv argument order mixed up!

Hello, I am new to the forum.
I have a similar problem: I have two raspberry pie zeros and two Speaker pHat boards.
The one is soldered on directly, the other is distanced a bit, by only using short wires for the 7 connections. The two pies run the same raspbian image, and the phat works fine one Pie one, with sound and light. On pie 2, I can sometimes when I boot, get a little light, that disappears again.
I get a really weak distorted audio, and no lights.
I started with a rather thin wires, and have now changed to thicker wires and re-soldered them twice.
I tried a different speaker, with same result.
I tried adding power to both USB ports to make sure it was not under-powered.

Since the two pies are the same, and the OS/installation is the same, then it must either be;

1. The speaker pHat board umber 2,
  2. Or my wiring/soldering.

I don’t know how to solve this. Does anyone know which of the 7 wires that would be susceptible to bad soldering/noice?

Thanks,
Jacob

It seems that I can not upload movies, and only one picture
IMG_4530