Streaky inkyphat

This is extremely useful information, thank you. Keep an eye on it!

2 days after running weather.py each minute continuously, my replacement inkyphat starts failing again.
Strokes progressively appeared on the screen.

We seem to have narrowed down what’s causing the issue with Inky pHAT. That is to say we have managed to damage multiple brand-new displays in the same fashion, and they’re progressively getting worse exactly as you’ve reported. To counter this, we’ve also managed to run multiple displays for the same length of time, under the same conditions and have them not display any faults at all.

Sorry this process has taken so long. Our enemy in these tests has been time- we have to balance getting this solved swiftly, with how long it takes for issues to manifest.

Right now we need to explore in some detail why it’s happening and then come up with a fix, report our findings to your good selves and get replacements to those who need them.

I think it goes without saying ( at least I hope it does ) that we’ll do what we can to make this right.

1 Like

Good stuff, keep us posted.

I’ve got mine plugged back in for now (with some trepidation), let’s see how that goes…

I sadly have the same problem as of this morning :-(EPM24642

It may be relevant for you to know that I had already installed your software fix before this problem started appearing.

Unfortunately I have the same issue and it’s only getting worse :( Did some of you manage to get one working?

Perhaps it is linked to the Hammer-able GPIO Headers, that’s the only way that I can think of Human error being the cause.

1 Like

Or even heat from a soldering iron interacting with the photo-luminescent chemicals in the display, although the delayed error would be a mystery this way.
So many variables! 0_0

1 Like

Our final (hopefully) test is currently running on a batch of Pi’s in the office, we’ll see what it looks like on Monday.

Indeed- many variables!

3 Likes

Working on it even in the week ends, thanks!

1 Like

So far my replacement is holding up, on the same Pi Zero, same Python code, same schedule (weather.py patched to turn it upside-down, run hourly), but with the updated driver.

I await information with interest though as I’m still treating this with some caution before thinking it’s OK.

Slightly later than Monday for an update, but we had a bit of a plot twist in that our tests eventually disproved our leading hypothesis. Science hurts! D’oh.

We’re now running another test over this weekend. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

I’ve noticed one line gone on mine today, after a week or so of use, so I’m expecting it to get worse. Will be interested to hear the findings.

I asked for an exchange and the seller refused to send me one saying it’s out of stock, did you stop shipping since you heard about the issue?

another victim :( Mine was running on a RPI Zero W for about a week with the power on 24/7~ running the weather.py every minute

OK, add me to the ‘streakers’ club. On 5 minute updates, ran for about a week, then streaks started to appear. More streaks appearing, but it’s not unreadable (yet).

What news Pimoroni? How are the investigations going? Do you want some of these defective units back for testing?

Yes, we stopped shipping/producing them so I’m not surprised the seller was unable to replace it. If you could please hang in there until we’ve sorted the problem, we’ll make sure we get your replacement.

I’ve liked to have one ordered during your 5 year 20% off sale, but saw that the InkyPHAT was not available. I hope you can sort things out, that’s surely a nightmare to have a product going astray after all the tests before it went to market. Best wishes, want to get my hands on one once the issues are sorted out.

1 Like

I have mine unused just to prevent a disaster. I hope a fix will be found sooner than later.

I have the same problem. After two days of running thermometer:

I have the same problem. After two days of running thermometer with the new library.

solutions? alternatives? The standar lcd have 128x32 or 128x64. Very poor! The TFT’s are very large for zero.