1.12" Mono OLED Breakout 128x128

1.12" Mono OLED Breakout 128x128. I’ve had this board for 2 years and still cannot get it to work. I’m using a Pi 3 with a new SD card and tried to install the drivers from the current script on the website.
It down loads the luma.core and then falls over with
luma.core requires Python ‘>3.5, <4’ but the running Python is 2.7.16

Could we have a fix please? This is the first Pimoroni board I’ve failed to get working.

i2c or SPI version?
Did you try the For Python3 installation, substitute the following in the instructions below.

• pippip3 ,
  • pythonpython3 ,
  • python-devpython3-dev ,
  • python-pippython3-pip .

Thanks, using pip3 got the drivers to finish but trying to run the setup and any of the other examples just gives a load of red error messages - so still not working properly.

This is continuing to be a very disappointing experience. Normally, with a Pimoroni board you click on the link, it installs all the necessary backgound bits and you can run the examples to see how the commands work. Installed setuptools-47.1.1

When I try these examples it just puts random dots on the left hand half of the screen and thinks is running a SSD1306 128x64 not this screen.

Sorry to say but this will put off customers.

i2c version or SPI version?

This is how it went for me with my color SPI LCD, might help. I did finally get it working.

I installed idle3 and have managed to get “Hello, World” on the screen.
Have you found a list of the graphic primitives anywhere with the syntax? Things like daw a single dot, line, rectangle, polygon? This is hard work without easy to follow documentation.
I’ve been using SSD1306 128x64 displays for some time and can fly them with Arduino and CircuitPython. I thought this would be similar but with twice the space.

Thanks for your help.

I haven’t done anything with mine after making sure it worked. I have some stuff on order that I’m waiting on before going any further. PIL / Pillow is what is used to show graphics etc on mine (ST7789), as far as i know anyway. Yours I believe uses Luma?

I also prefer Idle over thorny etc. You may have better luck running your files from command line though.
python3 bounce.py --display sh1106 --height 128 --rotate 2 --interface…

Also have a look see at this
https://luma-oled.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api-documentation.html
and
https://luma-oled.readthedocs.io/en/latest/python-usage.html

Thanks for these. I’ve managed to get the Conway’s lIfe and the basics shapes scripts working. I’ll write my own guide in the morning. Best of luck with PILLOW.

I’m having trouble getting one of these 128x128 OLED displays to work (SPI version). Using the exampled I can get an image but it is very corrupt. I notice that the recommended Luma library supports the SH1106 chip but that the board has a SH1107 driver chip, which apparently has a different initialisation sequence. Does anybody else have a 128x128 OLED breakout board with a SH1107 driver chip and has managed to get it to work?

I’ve spent a great deal of time lately playing with various displays: OLEDs, TFTs with and without touch screens etc. I’ve been doing this mainly with Arduino IDE. For a 1.3” OLED SH1106 128x64 I had to use the library “U8g2” made by “oliver”. This drives a great many different boards and you may find one which helps.

I haven’t done anything with OLEDS. Just the color LCD breakouts. The 1.3 and 0.96.

These little SSD1306 displays are magic, small, cheap, very easy to program with Adafruit GFX. I’ve got loads.

Tony - I’m trying to get the 128x128 Pimoroni OLED SPI display working on a Ras Pi. Back to your original post when you were trying these on a Ras Pi 3 - what library did you use? Did you OLED display have the SH1106 driver chip or the SH1107?

Mono i2c 128x129 SH1107. Eventually got it working.

Tony

I haven’t done any displays on i2c, only SPI here so far.

I love 'em. Only take 2 wires + power. With Adafruit GFX they fly.

Yeah, I have a build on the go with 3 of the 0.96 SPI LCD’s. Even with all 3 being on SPI1, wiring up (soldering) my proto board will be fun. 3 chip selects and 3 backlights. I can daisy chain the MOSI, MISO and SCLK though. I want color so I went with the LCD’s. Plus the modified code I’m running was written for them specifically.

Hi Tony, I am trying to get the Pimorini 1.12" Mono OLED 128x128 display working using Arduino and SparkFun ProMicro.
I tried the U8g2 library you suggested and uncommented the line U8X8_SH1107_PIMORONI_128X128_HW_I2C u8x8
but I get no response from the OLED.
It does display some parts in top right corner when using the “OneBitDisplay” library, so I know the board is ok and connected.
Any suggestions?

Sorry but I’m concentrating on MicroPython at the moment with colour displays. (I do not want Arduino IDE to become the default for everything.)
Currently working on a cheap 65K colours, Pico Display 160x128 from WaveShare.
WaveShare Pico LCD-1.8 Display Workout : 14 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

MicroPython SH1107 driver for 1.12" OLED

Hi, I have been using this breakout (originally from Adafruit Monochrome 1.12 128x128 OLED Graphic Display - STEMMA QT / Qwiic : ID 5297 ) with a Raspberry Pi Pico and MicroPython. I couldn’t find a suitable MicroPython driver, so developed one from related ones. In case it is useful to others, I’ve put it on github, here: SH1107 driver