BME680 - Adress76 but IOError

Hello, I am new here. Although there are already some similar topic I do not find a solution for my basic problem :-( bme680 is connected on Pi3B with debian9, I2C activated; Pins connected as described. i2cdetect -y 1 gives adress 76. I have used the easy installation script “curl https://get.pimoroni.com/bme680 | bash” but I get while starting the example temp-press-hum.py followingb errors:

File “./temp-press-hum.py”, line 14, in
_ sensor = bme680.BME680()_
_ File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bme680/init.py”, line 34, in init_
_ self.set_humidity_oversample(OS_2X)_
_ File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bme680/init.py”, line 83, in set_humidity_oversample_
_ self.set_bits(CONF_OS_H_ADDR, OSH_MSK, OSH_POS, value)
_ File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bme680/init.py”, line 284, in set_bits
_ self.set_regs(register, temp)
_ File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bme680/init.py”, line 289, in set_regs
_ self.i2c.write_byte_data(self.i2c_addr, register, value)
IOError: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error

Questions:

1. why? where I find a bug fix for the examples?
  2. if I later start the GUI startx and than open a terminal --> i2cdetect shows no address 76 any more. why?
  3. I would like to access bme680 with python3 instead of 2: which examples can I use?

Please help. Thank you!

How do you have it connected to your Pi? Jumper wires or directly to GPIO on Pi? Did you solder a header to it?

Hello,
jumper wires between bme680 and the adapter Nulsom ns-gpio-p-02 set on the gpio of the pi. No soldering…
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance!

Ok, on the BME680 are the jumpers just going into the holes in the board, or did you solder a header onto the BME680?

no solders on the breakout of bme680: just plugged in they held…😕

That’s likely your issue. The pins just put into the holes will be a poor connection. Its probably an intermittent connection. Also, you could have just put your jumper wires right on the Pi’s GPIO pins, and skipped using the bread board breakout board.

It took some time I got all material. Now I have solded the terminal: it works perfectly!
Never thought that also HW can have a bug 😂… thank you for support!

Glad you got it working, enjoy.