Can't get my Displayotron working at all

Hi there,

So it’s plugged in (obvs) I’ve sudo apt and all that. I ran the script:

curl -sS get.pimoroni.com/displayotron | bash

it gave me an error:
bash: line 690: git: command not found
(it seems to be the git clone command as there were no examples in the directory:
cd dot3k/python/examples/basic)

So I got cloned the dot3K examples. Ran helloworld.py… … and nothing. No lights, no display, nothing!

I turned on i2C in the config as well, nothing!

Help!

joe

The dot3k requires both i2c and spi. The script should enable them.

If you run it a second time it will confirm whether all is in order. No reboot should be necessary but to be on the safe side reboot anyhow. Then run:

i2cdetect -y 1

On a sidenote, as a general rule of thumb, it’s good practice to give as much details about your system as possible when posting for help… I think you are running Jessie Lite based on the installer failure, but confirmation would be good. I don’t know what Pi you are using though, which could be a factor too.

If unsure, you can run:

curl -sS https://get.pimoroni.com/cpuinfo | bash

and post the output here.

Hi RougeM,

The script was fine second time, but no joy. Here’s the ouput, thanks in advance!

i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --

cpuinfo | bash
Hardware Revision : a01041
Revision match: Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1
Linux raspberrypi 4.4.13-v7+ #894 SMP Mon Jun 13 13:13:27 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
I2C appears to be enabled
SPI appears to be enabled

joe

how are you connecting the dot3k? Is it snapped onto GPIO or select jumper wiring?

It’s plugged into the gpio ports on top. There’s no special way to plug it in is there?

no, being a 26-way you just need to plug it on the left hand-side when looking at the Pi with the header at the top. The body of the dot3k board would be on the side of the Pi PCB rather than protruding outside.

like so in other words (or rather picture):

Yep, plugged in like that!

Inspect the header, it’s possible that the contacts were just enough to pass QA but came loose due to mechanical stress.

Don’t hesitate to secure those contacts with a bit of solder if you can see some pins that seem to be ‘floating’ above their landing. If that does not help contact support@pimoroni.com to get a replacement board.