Dimensional drawings for Inky Frame

Hi Pimoroni!
I found the dimensional drawing for Inky Frame 5.7 on the website, but not for the other Inky Frame products. Same goes for the Inky Impression products. Would be nice to have so we can put them into actual frames. Would love to see a nice looking PiBow-like picture frame case for Inky Frame series in the future. It’s so close to being a final digital picture frame (I’m working on software for it). Maybe something that can be put in standard picture frame (13x18 cm for 5.7" for example) with a matte/passepartout to match.

Btw, the picture in the store for the Inky Frame 5.7 shows the pre-production model. Please add more pictures of the real thing.

Our head engineer is on hols at the moment but I’ve put in a request for the dimensional drawings for when he’s back :)

I’ll look at updating the photo of the back of Inky Frame 5.7 - it’s not a pre-production one and we made quite a few batches that look like this, but we did update the silk recently to better match the rest of the range.

1 Like

have you seen the case from @ingurum ? Printables. There is also a post on this forum that might be interesting for you: Inky Frame slide show

Yep, I have seen the 3D case. I don’t know how to get measurements from it though, and I don’t have a 3D printer. Yeah my software is going to work similar to that but with better image quality and hopefully wireless uploading. Stay tuned :D

If you’re using MicroPython memory is pretty tight on the 5.7" due to competition with frame buffer memory. The 4" is better due to less pixels and the 7.3" is also better due to some external PSRAM being used for frame buffer.

I’d check the WiFi works where you want to put the Inky Frame. The Pi Pico W’s antenna isn’t as sensitive as many other devices.

There’s some discussion possibly on this forum of better dither algorithms for better image quality. That could be achieved with external dithering.

The IKEA RIBBA frames (23cmx23cm) looked like it was a possible fit but that size seems to have gone AWOL from their website.

I am not using MicroPython, but Nim which is wrapping the Pico C SDK. I have implemented Floyd Steinberg error diffusion dithering and storing the rgb pixel buffer on the sdcard on the inky 5.7 as a file (and psram on inky 7.3).

Wifi seems fine but I have noticed that the connection fails way before timeout in some cases, so I will make it retry if it fails early, even when reception is good.

After my first post here I did my own measurements of the inky 7.3 in svg format, and bought a frame to match. Was lucky the matte fit perfectly! A frame sized 15x20 with a matte 10x15 but was actually smaller hole than that (inky 7 screen is 9.6x16). Here is also my svg for the inky 5.7.

2 Likes