Dot3k not working after apt-get upgrade to support Pi 2

I’m afraid I have tried a fresh install, with the current Raspbian image (31-01-2015) and have got the same result. The get.pimoroni.com/dot3k script seemed to work fine, but I get the following error when trying to run any dot3k code;

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./backlight.py", line 3, in <module>
    import dot3k.lcd as lcd
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dot3k/lcd.py", line 3, in <module>
    lcd = st7036.st7036(register_select_pin=25)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/st7036.py", line 20, in __init__
    self.spi.open(0, spi_chip_select)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Which, to me, looks very similar to the error in the post that seems to have resulted in the sticky “Your Dot3k / Skywriter / etc doesn’t work after running rpi-update” post - (Display-O-Tron 3000 onwards). However, I didn’t run an rpi-update, just the usual apt-get update/apt-get upgrade - and the new image seems to have the same issue which makes me think that the problematic firmware from rpi-update is now mainstream, and warning people away from rpi-update isn’t going to be sufficient.

For completeness, tried sudo pip install spidev --ignore as requested above - no change…

I’ve also just tried again with raspi-config to enable SPI and I2C (as I suspect the get script is not doing the right think for device tree) - ahah, as I say that it seems to have worked! I have no idea why it didn’t yesterday, as I did try just about everything I could think of with both the upgraded and a clean image… however, it does seem to be down to device tree, and presumably the get script could be updated to handle it…

So I’m good to go again - hurrah! Now to try it on my Pi 2 (although I believe right now it won’t work because RPi.GPIO doesn’t recognise the Pi 2 as a Pi…)