[Errno 5] Input/output error with Skywriter HAT

The skywriter HAT was working a couple of weeks ago (Pi 3 Jessie patched up to date as of about middle of May), but in the meantime something awry as happened.

pi@raspberrypi:~/git/skywriter-hat/python/examples $ sudo ./test.py 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./test.py", line 2, in <module>
    import skywriter
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py", line 488, in <module>
    i2c.write_i2c_block_data(SW_ADDR, 0xa1, [0b00000000, 0b00011111, 0b00000000, 0b00011111])
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py", line 479, in _exit
    stop_poll()
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
Error in sys.exitfunc:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py", line 479, in _exit
    stop_poll()
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

And i2cdetect isn’t helpful:

pi@raspberrypi:~/git/skywriter-hat/python/examples $ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                         

I’ve tried the HAT with several different SD cards (with various combinations of updates).

Is this software or hardware? The HAT looks ok …

Thanks.

i2cdetect should return a hit for 0x42, so it looks like the hardware side not playing ball.

I’m not sure what could have happened, but I would inspect, and possibly touch up, the HAT header - pay particularly attention to the 6 pins on the left hand side when the header is facing up, those are the ones that could potentially be trouble if they somehow have dodgy contacts.

That’s what I feared. Visually they seem fine, even under a magnifying glass.

I tested the pins (especially those 6) with a circuit tester (putting a header in first) and they all generated a voltage. I touched a fine tip soldering iron to the visible piece and it hasn’t made an obvious difference.

Could I suggest that v2 of the board have a power LED and a little more space to work with to maintain the HAT header?

I suspect that the problem is due to the fact that I have a number of classes sharing the same Pis, but not each group uses the same HAT/device, so this has probably been taken off/on once too often without enough care.

I guess I’m going to have to buy another and plug it in to a dedicated Pi - or get one of the non-HAT versions!

thanks for the quick reply, though!

Oups, sorry I meant the right hand side (near ‘er’ of Skywriter)

Thanks - I tried that (both sides near the ‘er’) and no effect.

I guess the Hat is stuffed?

Looks like it I’m afraid :(

Hi,
i’ve exactly the same error with completely new skywriter hat that arrive to me last week. i2cdetect also gave the same output.
I’ve tried few different sd cards with various raspbian image on two pi’s (pi zero and version b). Every time the same error.
Is it possibile that new hat is already broken?

Does the installer throw any exceptions when trying to install any of the requirements?

… I strongly encourage you to start another topic and post the errors you have received there, they may not be identical although they may appear to be. If we go on the basis that they are we may miss something important.

No there were no exceptions.
As suggested i’ve created new topic: link