Has my pHAT DAC died

Yes I am pretty sure actually, because I checked the pinout on the zero, then orientated the white stripe on the ribbon cable to match up with pin 1.

But for arguments sake, just say I did put it the wrong way round, would that kill the zero, and not least make the video socket very hot.

What happens I think depends on what Hat or pHat is plugged into the other end on the ribbon cable. If nothing is plugged in no harm done. I asked because for the Black Hat Hack3r the ribbon cable goes over the top of the Pi, but for breadboard breakout boards it goes the opposite way. Straight out the side. It’s had to describe but if you own both, like I do, you know what that means.

Yes the ribbon cable does or did go over the top of the zero. I have only got 1 breadboard for now and I am using it for a 12v led project , but I’ve ordered 2 more from another seller.
I do have both a ribbon cable and the mini Black Hat Hack3r, and pi 3 has just arrived, so I may use that for the time being.

Ok, just bad luck then. It happens. I have the mini and full sized Black Hat Hack3r boards. They come in quit handy when testing things. I also have one Pi dedicated to bread boarding. I always seem to be working on some new project so I mock things up, and test my code on that Pi. Then when its working I build my finished circuit on a perf board.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgq9LUHdGiiRpn7dr2Q

Perf board? is that a proper circuit board or something else. I don’t really want to start doing circuit boards again, so I hope things have moved on since my last venture about 30 odd years ago.

These are what I do some my finished circuits on. https://www.adafruit.com/?q=protoboard%20 It’s the same layout as the solderless bread boards, you just have to actually solder your parts in place.

Just for clarity, is there any cutting between tracks or joining up to do.

From what you say, it appears to be just a 'Plug ‘n Play’ type board, but with soldering the parts or jumper wires

No, for most things there is no cutting of tracks. It’s laid out just like a solderless bread board. So once you have something working you just transfer it over. Where you had jumpers plugged in, you solder etc.

Ok, thanks for that and I’ve just ordered a set of 3 from here.

The Proto Hat is very similar layout, but with the pads for a header and the GPIO brought out to solder pads. All nicely labeled.