Interstate75 Colours are 'shifted' (newbie question)

Thanks, Hel
Good to know that there is a reason for the fact that the panel is not doing what was expected and not just me being a ‘newbie’ with these…
Hopefully there will be a way to soft fix this, I would like to believe so as somewhere there will be logic to encode the colour in either RGB or RBG :D
It’s just how accessible that is and whether you can pass a flag to say use one option rather than the other…
I will just have to colour shift my JPEGs for now so that they look the way I want them…
If I use PicoGraphics then I will need to colour them differently.
I certainly don’t want to refund the panel, I can certainly make use of it…
If it turns out to be fixable, great, if not you know where you are with the panels in the store that are not working as expected and the next person that raises this as a question :D
Again, thanks for help and looking forward to seeing what I can do with this now I know what the actual issue is.

1 Like

Hi team at Pimoroni…
Question, is there a hardware fix option to this?
If I make a modified cable that swaps the correct pins, would that work instead of trying to solve at the software level?
My understanding is that there are 2 blue pins and 2 green pins… which ones have been configured wrong on the board?
A swap of pin from green to blue and vice versa could/should work…
Might be a lot easier than the work with the software looking at bit shifting etc…
What do you think?

The Interstate 75 schematic is here.
interstate_75.sch (shopify.com)

Looking at the pinout for that socket, all I see is row column stuff? I don’t think its as easy as just swapping pins?

EDIT: Ops never mind, not what I thought it was. Too early in the morning for this. I’ll leave it there anyway so nobody is wondering what i was looking at.

This, might help, maybe?
Wiring the Display | Connecting a 16x32 RGB LED Matrix Panel to a Raspberry Pi | Adafruit Learning System

Somebody from Pimoroni can confirm, but I’m thinking the pin swap is on the LED matrix on the onboard LED controller? If yes, a software fix is the only option.

As I understand it, it’s the LEDs themselves that are physically different, so I’m not sure if it’s possible to fix it by rewiring the pins. I only have a vague idea of how these panels work (something something shift register) though, so am very happy to be proved wrong if you want to try it :D

Alternatively, you could try one of these hot off the press MicroPython builds:
pimoroni-picow-cacfbd174b6514f520b2aa1890e63356d7fec9c8-micropython.uf2.zip (683.3 KB)
pimoroni-pico-cacfbd174b6514f520b2aa1890e63356d7fec9c8-micropython.uf2.zip (426.4 KB)

You should then be able to specify the colour order like this:
i75 = Interstate75(display=Interstate75.DISPLAY_INTERSTATE75_64X64, color_order=Interstate75.COLOR_ORDER_RBG)

Let us know if you notice any significant slowdown from the swapping - I can’t tell a visual difference but our software team are currently having a think about if it’s possible to optimise the hub75 library any better.

Really sorry for the delay.
Just want to say thank you for the solution and the (not so hot) off the press Micropython solves it perfectly, thank you!

1 Like