Miniboost gives less than 5V

I’ve been trying to use the 5V Adafruit miniboost in a project. I have a cheap 433 Mhz reciever which needs at least 5V. I noticed that I get really poor signal when using the miniboost. The miniboost always gives a little bit less than 5V, 4.96V Ardunio Uno and 4.84V Arduino Nano IoT 33. I’m connecting the miniboost to Vin.

Using the 5V out on the arduinos gives really good range for the receiver but eventually I want to switch the Arduino for a processor which doesn’t have 5V out.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of these miniboosts?

How are you connecting the miniboost to your Arduino?
What gauge wires and how long are they?

I’ve tried with multi-stranded 22 copper wires, about 5cm long. I’ve soldered the connections on to perfboard. I’ve also used breadboard/plug board with jumpers, but I get the same results.

Always Vin > Vin and GND > GND

22 gauge may be a little thin? For example the official Pi Power supply uses 18 gauge.
Where are you measuring the Vin at the Miniboost or at the Arduino?
What is feeding the Miniboost, battery?
If its a battery what is it MAH rating etc. It’s max current may be an issue if its low enough?

I’m feeding the arduinos from the USB port in both cases. I thought the current from a battery might not cut it.

Thanks for the note about the wire gauge. I’ll find some 18 gauge to try out.

A stock USB 2 port has a limit of 500ma, JFYI.
USB Ports output 5V, so why the Miniboost?

I was originally using the output from the USB but was getting variable responses with different devices. I thought the 5V from the miniboost would be more stable. The range of these 433 Mhz receivers seem to drop off dramatically below 5V. The 5V output from an Arduino Uno gives consistently the best results.

I use the Adafruit PowerBoost, usually the C version which will recharge the battery. I like those because I can plug a Raspberry Pi Power supply in, or wire up +5V to the solder pad. All my PowerBoost’s have LIPO batteries attached. Some 2200 MAH and a 6600 MAH one for a portable setup that’s power hungry that I want a long run time on. The 6600 MAH one is three matched 2200 cells. Three cells in parallel can give out 3 times the current of the 2200 MAH battery.

I’ve been using this with my UNO’s.
9 VDC 1000mA regulated switching power adapter - UL listed : ID 63 : $6.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Thanks for the suggestion. I have something similar for my Uno. I think I might have to just ditch the miniboosts and use Arduino Nanos.

A Raspberry Pi 3, Pi Zero power supply should work with the Arduino Nano IoT 33?
It’s what I use with my Arduino MKR1000 board.