MQTT with a Pico Wireless pack

“This should be straightforward,” I thought, “I’ll just install umqtt.simple in the Thonny package manager.”

— turns out… that doesn’t work. I can sort-of get umqtt.simple installed by copying simple.py from micropython-lib into /lib/umqtt, but then it’s asking for usocket.

Has anyone managed to get a Pico with a Wireless pack talking over MQTT? Did you take notes? I’m at a bit of a loss to know where to start.

I’m having the same problem. I have a Pico W microPython script to read from a BME280 sensor (on the Breakout Garden). It works fine locally, but I want to connect via MQTT. I tried installing mqtt.simple via theThonny package manager, but it just fails. Nobody seems to respond.

Have you tried this one

And use this build of micropython
https://github.com/pimoroni/pimoroni-pico/releases/download/v1.19.12/pimoroni-picow-v1.19.12-micropython.uf2

This was the original guide a followed many months ago that worked for me.

Thanks for these suggestions. I agree that either of them should work, and I can confirm that the first one genuinely does. I haven’t yet tried migrating my MQTT code back to the umqtt.simple library package, which I’d completely forgotten about (durr!).

For anyone stumbling across this thread, however: MQTT is now straightforward on a Pico W. With the older Pico Wireless Pack which was the subject of this thread (which added wifi to a bare Pico) things won’t be as straightforward. If you have one of those, frankly… give up and replace it with a Pico W, it’s just not worth the hassle to do non-standard networking.