Need Help: Pico weather station guide using the Pico Explorer

/ new user here, I hope this is the right place for this post /

Hello,
Since I can’t seem to find one, I would like to create a guide to help new Pico Explorer users create a weather station with their Pico Explorer. Similar to the one on the Pico Explorer Pimoroni shop page:

However, I’m not quite sure where to start myself. What I’m looking for is a basic guide to the OLED display and I think I can work it out from there. There is a decent demo for getting a temperature readout on the Explorer’s display, but not one for the display itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This might help, @Tonygo2 is a member of this forum.
Raspberry Pi Pico & Pico Explorer Workout : 15 Steps - Instructables
Pimoroni Pico Display Workout : 3 Steps - Instructables

Hi Jason
The graphics are the easy bit with MicroPython if you follow my guides. The problem is with the sensors and lack of driver modules. You can easily read temperatures with a DS18B20

import machine, onewire, ds18x20, time

ds_pin = machine.Pin(1)
ds_sensor = ds18x20.DS18X20(onewire.OneWire(ds_pin))

roms = ds_sensor.scan()
print('Found DS devices: ', roms)

while True:
  ds_sensor.convert_temp()
  time.sleep_ms(750)
  for rom in roms:
    print(rom)
    print(ds_sensor.read_temp(rom))
  time.sleep(5)

which might get you started.

You might find my Pico review helpful in understanding some of the current problems:
Raspberry Pi Pico - Review | element14 | RoadTests & Reviews

Thanks Tony, I’ll be getting into this too. Once my Pico Explorer arrives, which should be any day now. I should have it early next week, it’s coming by snail mail.

Thanks Tony! I’ll look into each of your guides.

Took me a couple of long nights to troubleshoot then completely give up on Thonny. Running anything in the 3.3 range crashes my Mac Pro, 3.1 will start but then crash as soon as I open the preferences window??? Any way, I’ve given up and am using VS Code which is not as simple as Thonny, but does work. Not sure how well I can write a guide without Thonny working :(

I also found the examples on the Pimoroni Github page…not sure how I missed that in my Googling the first time around.

The examples are linked to from the product pages. It’s just bold text though and easy enough to miss. Hover your mouse over the bold text and any that are links will become underlined, and clickable. ;)

If you have a Raspberry Pi setup with a Monitor and keyboard you can run Thonny from it. I’m doing my PICO programing from my Pi400.

You can use Mu Editor with MicroPython. It will auto detect.

Code With Mu