Pico w breakout garden with OLED display via SPI

Hi there, I am trying to use

1. Pico W
  2. the pimoroni 1.12" Mono OLED (128x128, white/black) Breakout – SPI 1.12" Mono OLED (128x128, white/black) Breakout - SPI
  1. the pimoroni breakout garden pico-breakout-garden-pack?variant=32369506254931

The software that is referenced in the description of the OLED display (see link above) with the luna package and so on, seems to be suitable for a “real Raspberry Pi” but does not wok for the Pico W (the picow runs out of memory when trying to install the packackages).

I found the following Micropython script:
SH1106

But the Micropython script seems to be developed and tested for ESP8266. On the pico W, I don’t see anything on the OLED display if I run this script.

Any support would be appreciated!

I may be wrong, but I believe that only the i2c OLED breakout is supported at the moment on the Pimoroni Pico uf2’s.

In my own tinkering i’ve only managed to have the i2c version running, never the SPI.

Try here:
GitHub - peter-l5/SH1107: MicroPython driver for SH1107 OLED displays (128x128 and 128x64 pixels)

Thanks @Tonygo2 ! I tried the code you are referencing for SH1107 (using the Pins used in the SPI demo script and adjusting the resolution from 128x64 to 128x128). But unfortunately, the OLED display still does not show any reaction. It looks quite dead! :(

I have the same issue as well… whatever I try, no reaction from the display using the referenced SH1107 driver…

Did you ever figure it out?

Untill now, no success with the OLED display and the Pico w

Hi @mamooth, @ilboud, I put together the module that @Tonygo2 linked. I was interested to read about the problems you had with the SPI display. Someone raised an issue on gitlab with I think a similar issue to that which you may have experienced, see: 1.12" Mono OLED + Arudino Nano ESP32 Nothing displayed
Can I ask what supply voltage from the PICO you used for the display? I ask as when I was looking into this yesterday, I found that the display showed flickery or no image when VCC was connected to the Pico 3V3 pin but worked well when the display was connected to the Pico’s VBUS pin which supplies 5V. (Previously when I tested the display it had worked with a 3V3 supply albeit with areas of lighter and darker image where there where blocks of lit pixels. But then 5V produced much better results.)

Just a FYI post. The Pimoroni Breakout Garden Hats (Pi) and Packs (Pico) are wired up to use 3.3v for powering what’s plugged in.
The Breakouts themselves are 5v tolerant (3 to 6V).

I have the i2c version of the 1.12" OLED wired up to an Inventor 2040W. It’s wired to the Pico 3.3v Out. I’m not noticing any image blotchiness. The Inventor is powered via the USB port, no battery connected.

Disclaimer, my eyesight isn’t the best even with my glasses on, and I’m partially color blind. ;) I may just not be seeing it. I’m also using small text and no graphic images.