Pimoroni Hat HD not being seen with i2cdetect

Hi. Today I started to have a play with my new Unicorn Hat HD but as yet I have not got as much as a single blinking LED out of it. i have run the install script from curl https://get.pimoroni.com/unicornhathd | bash and I have double checked i2c is enable and I have tried running if on a Pi3 and a Pi zeroW but nothing.

The problem must be quite fundamental as when i run sudo i2cdetect -y 1 the report i get suggests the device is not being seen …

pi@raspberrypi:~ sudo i2cdetect -y 1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f 00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- pi@raspberrypi:~

Is this pointing to a HAT that is DOA ?

Thanks

Unicorn hat hd does not use I2c as seen here

How are you running the examples and do you get any errors?

Hi William,

I guess I assumed (bad thing) that I2c was being used as the install instruction on github state “In all cases you will have to enable the i2c bus”.

I don’t get any error messages as such, just an information messages. When i run demo.py I get …

"This pixel shading demo transitions between 4 classic graphics demo effects.

If you’re using a Unicorn HAT and only half the screen lights up,
edit this example and change ‘unicorn.AUTO’ to ‘unicorn.HAT’ below."

Suggests the software is seeing the HAT but no LEDs are coming on.

That sounds like you’re running the Unicorn HAT examples rather than the Unicorn HAT HD ones? That may also mean that you haven’t installed the Unicorn HAT HD software.

Try opening a terminal and typing curl https://get.pimoroni.com/unicornhathd | bash.

To run an example, type python /home/pi/Pimoroni/unicornhathd/examples/rainbow.py.

Spot on … I was. Fingers and brain totally out of synch. All now good.
Thanks for your help and your time.
Regards Peter