Pimoroni sent me this prototype to tinker with. =)

I bought some of the Breakout Garden sockets thinking I’d make a custom breakout for it at some point. Never got around to it. That’s a great use of those wee proto boards though, I think I got some as part of an old Christmas promotion and they’ve just sat in a drawer.

Yep, unfortunately it’s the backlight which is the problem, as even if all of the pixels are black there’s a fair bit of leakage from the white backlight, and that’s what I wanted to turn off. It would probably also significantly reduce the power consumption. Guess I’ll just have to wait for the new Explorer board!

I was thinking that might be the case with a (non controllable) backlite LCD after I posted.
Fading the text to black would just make it harder to read?

Yes, essentially the screen is black, but there’s white light which leaks out from behind it, particularly where the FPC cable connects to it. Not great if you want to use it in a dark room. With that said, half of the temperature breakouts I want to use have power LEDs on them, so they’re hot helpful either.

It’s the same deal with anything with a Lipo charger etc. Pico Lipo, Lipo Shim, etc. Bright white “I’m On” LED on the backside. I get why it’s there, still a bit of an inconvenience.

Put the legs on just to have a look see. Not a bad angle if its on your desk in plain site. Thats not a complaint, just an observation. I swapped out the silver retaining screws for some black ones. Just personal preference, IMHO it just looks better all black.
Not really related but I bought some of the QWICC cables and swapped the single black shells for 5 pin versions. And lined up the pins in Breakout Garden order. I’ll likely order two more stock versions for use with non Pimoroni breakouts.

lol, probably should have cleaned up the clutter on my desk first. It’s all Pimoroni stuff in the pink anti-static bags so I guess I’m good. :P