Pogo with Button SHIM?

Hello, I saw that for Button SHIM to work it needed to be soldered.

I came here (https://pinout.xyz/pinout/button_shim) and saw that It’s needed to have a pin on 3, 4, 5, 6, and 17. Is that enough to make it work? Because I’m using Pogo (https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pogo-a-go-go-solderless-gpio-pogo-pins) to connect them, and it still showing this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "control-main.py", line 12, in <module>
    @buttonshim.on_press(buttonshim.BUTTON_A)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/buttonshim/__init__.py", line 294, in on_press
    setup()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/buttonshim/__init__.py", line 188, in setup
    _bus.write_byte_data(ADDR, REG_CONFIG, 0b00011111)
OSError: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error

Which I read here, it means that it’s not well fixed on the pi zero, but it seems pretty fixed on it, as Pogo comes with bolts and nuts to fix all together.

Can I make it work with Pogo or do I really need to solder it?

Those 5 pins should be enough to make it work, but yes, Errno 121 means it can’t talk to the I2C device. Which way do you have the SHIM oriented? The buttons should be pointing away from the CPU and hanging over the edge of the Pi. Are all of the Pogos clearly in contact with the SHIM and the Pi’s GPIO header?

Sometimes specific ground pins are required, but you’d like to think Phil has properly documented one of Pimoroni’s onw products.

The pins look like they’re all right.

this is what I see when I run these commands:

pi@raspberrypi:~/Pimoroni/button-shim/examples $ lsmod | grep i2c_
i2c_bcm2835            16384  0
i2c_dev                16384  0
pi@raspberrypi:~/Pimoroni/button-shim/examples $ i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

I have a pi zero and the i2c is enabled (I already checked that haha)

OK, I’ve only just gotten around to testing this. Unfortunately the only Button SHIM I have has a header soldered to it, but using jumper wires and only connecting the pins you’ve used the SHIM works perfectly fine.So either your pogo pins aren’t making good electrical connections or there’s something wrong with the SHIM.