Desktop - Windows 10 (USB2.0 & USB3.0)
Laptop - Windows 10 (USB2.0 & USB3.0)
Laptop - Windows 10 (USB2.0)
Desktop - Windows 7 (USB2.0)
RASPBERRY PI 1 MODEL B - Raspbian
RASPBERRY PI 3 MODEL B - Raspbian
MacBook Pro - OSX (USB2.0)
Desktop - Gentoo Linux (USB2.0)

On all the Linux’s based systems i check dmesg upon connnecting the Zero, and nothing appeared to be detected

:( Really not getting any Joy with this

Apols rooney as I have done this several times and it works each time.
Only thing that is different and maybe for the other guys is actually I struggled to find software to allow me to read linux partitions ext2fsd on windows 10 just was a no go.
I have a dual boot machine so read the boot partition in Ubuntu to make the necessary file changes as just couldn’t access them in Windows 10, I could read them with some software that worked but had no write option.

So if anyone has an alternative to ext2FSD that just doesn’t work (prob something to do with newer SSD settings) as the only thing you did differently is use windows.
Did it three times as with various errors of my own I has used Noobs to go back to default several times now.

I think I will prob do a little tutorial on setting up DNSMasq is it can act as a simple dhcp+dns server and is about 10x lighter than debians isc dhcp and bind.

Not sure why this isn’t part of the official Raspberian and set the zero up on 192.168.7.1 and use that subnet (default that can be hacked)

I have been blown away with my recent Raspberry adventure, I did get a model B that was just to slow and just to expensive.
Now you have the PI 3 for the same cost whilst hitting a performance sweet spot, I have been using it like a desktop. Then Zero price and tiny form factor, yeah it been a bit of a wow apart the big problem with the zero and surely soon we can up the orders to a least only one zero per transaction?

Also Rooney @ £4:00 maybe get another and edit the partitions on the macbook or gentoo machines.
Maybe you could give me a hand with hacking rasp-config so there is an easy option for gadgets as with bonjour running and an ethernet gadget just being able to stick a zero into a usb port is just fantastic and DnsMasq is an absolute doddle to configure.

This is another one where I am a bit stunned that Raspberry haven’t adopted this into raspberian ?

Doh! Much easier than I thought with windows and as usual I was thinking of doing things the wrong way round.

Being able to connect to the Pi is OK but not having the internet on the Pi is not but actually its a doddle.
Just follow what the Adafruit guys say install Apple bonjour.

In windows select your normal ethernet adaptor → properties and click on the sharing tab.
Tick share this internet connection.

On the pi do what the adafruit guys say and edit your /etc/network/interfaces file on your Pi to match the one below.

auto lo usb0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

allow-hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet manual

reboot the pi and hey presto you have full internet over the USB, wicked! :)

Hi gadgetoid

I revived the replacement today I had the SD card prepped and ready to got so straight in with it and it worked perfect!

Thank you very much for you support on this

1 Like