Tiny2040 installing micropython on board

Hello folks, I’m new here and already I’m whining for help (not an auspicious start to my adventure) :)

My name is Steinthor and I hail from Iceland.

I have a very cute little board the Tiny2040, and I’m kinda stumped when it comes to installing Micropython on it. The links one the shop page for the tiny send me to the RPI Pico landing page and there the only firmware I can find to download is for the Pico, there is also a link to circuitpython.com and there I can download the circuitpython firmware which works very nicely.

So if anyone can help me get started on installing the micropython firmware I’d be very happy. I bought 2 Tiny’s to be able to test micropython on one and circuitpython on the other.

Best regards
Steinþór

The Pico firmware is the one you should use, it runs just fine on the Tiny. As the store page says though, you just need to remember that the Tiny doesn’t have all of the pins that the Pico has, but otherwise it should work just the same.

1 Like

I just had another look at the pin map for the tiny vs. the pico. It looks like the I2C and UART pins have the same GPx number on both the Pico and the Tiny.

GP0 = I2C0 SDA = UART0 TX = SPI0 RX on Tiny
GP0 = I2C0 SDA = UART0 TX = SPI0 RX on Pico

That leads me to guess that the Micropython firmware for the Pico can run on the Tiny.
Am I correct there? If someone can confirm for me that would be nice, and can I suggest that information is clearly stated somewhere.

Thank you Shoe I managed to get there myself but very nice to have confirmation. I have played around with various MCU’s for awhile now and this is the first case I can remember where a board with a different layout can use the same firmware.

It’s really just the exact same hardware, so yes they are more or less directly compatible except for the missing pins on the Tiny. You could almost saw off the back of a Pico and have almost the same thing (fairly sure I saw a Hackaday article where someone did that…).

1 Like

Hehe that’s pretty cool. I did not see anything on the pimoroni site that confirmed it was directly compatible. Then after posting I was checking the pinouts and happened to have both on screen at the same time then I finally saw it.

Anywho I’m glad that is solved :)

Somebody posted doing that on the Pi foundation forum. I don’t remember exactly how much they sawed off but it was where the Pi logo is, so about 6 rows of pins. Somebody from the Pi foundation posted back that the PICO PCP is not multi layer, and that makes it easier. Just a FYI post.

1 Like