Use Pirate Radio phat LCD as main display/ display other information

Hi,

I’m trying to use a pirate radio w/lcd as a main display for a pi zero w or alternately show custom information through it (via a web server or other application) but I’m unable to do so. Can anyone point me to information for doing so?

In addition, I’ve tried the examples pimoroni has published on github for the phat and they seem to fail due to the PIL library being missing.

Thanks

If your running Raspbian lite you’ll have to install PIL manually. I’ve forgotten how you do that at the moment.
Getting boot info on the display should be doable. Check out how Adafruit does it and you may be able to pull it off.
They have several small displays that connect via SPi, See if you find one that’s the same size and uses the same driver chip and library. Then go from there.
something like this

Try running the following.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-rpi.gpio python-spidev python-pip python-pil python-numpy
sudo apt-get install python3-rpi.gpio python3-spidev python3-pip python3-pil python3-numpy
It’s what I ran for my 1.3" SPI Color LCD (240x240) Breakout, which I believe is the same display used on the Pirate radio boards.