Scroll Phat HD seems to functionally challenging

Hello everyone…

I took the plunge and nabbed myself a scroll bot kit during the raspberry pi birthday bash - and earlier this week I finally mustered enough courage to solder the headers onto the scroll phat HD module. I figured I could test using a Raspberry Pi model B I had available - at least I could confirm if my awful soldering would be ship shape…

I managed to solder the headers on using the tutorial on the page - and I installed the various gubbins required - like 12c by running the installation script.

curl -sS https://get.pimoroni.com/scrollphat | bash

Anyway - when I try and run the sample test-all.py I get this :

pi@raspberrypi:~/Pimoroni/scrollphat/examples $ python3 ./test-all.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./test-all.py", line 7, in <module>
    import scrollphat
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/scrollphat/__init__.py", line 20, in <module>
    controller = IS31FL3730(smbus, font)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/scrollphat/IS31FL3730.py", line 21, in __init__
    self.set_mode(self.i2cConstants.MODE_5X11)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/scrollphat/IS31FL3730.py", line 62, in set_mode
    self.bus.write_i2c_block_data(self.i2cConstants.I2C_ADDR, self.i2cConstants.CMD_SET_MODE, [self.i2cConstants.MODE_5X11])
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

I thought…“Must be my extremely shoddy soldering” - so i bought a multimeter from maplins and checked the soldering and it all seems ok.

I also read some other posts on the forum, where the Bosun had suggested running a i2cdetect -y -1, which I have done and I get this :

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- 74 -- -- --

which I thought might be ok, as the printing on the bottom of the PHAT says that its I2C address is 0x74. So I’m a little lost as to what to do next.

I will add that this is pixel - but possibly not the latest version.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.4.34-v7+ #930 SMP Wed Nov 23 15:20:41 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

So I will try updating and upgrading. Anyone got any ideas as to why it seems functionally challenged?

Cheers

Mike

you are not using the correct installer and library - as noted on the product page, the correct repository is:

… so you need to use:

curl -sS https://get.pimoroni.com/scrollphathd | bash

(note the ‘hd’ at the end)

oh my word - I didn’t even notice that - great spot - sorry… I’ll fix that shortly (pi is still doing an update)

yup - that totally works. sorry… so Today i learned to really check what you’re typing in.

Haha, we make Unicorn HAT and Unicorn pHAT use the same library and that creates one set of problems.

We make Scroll pHAT HD and Scroll pHAT separate… and get a whole 'nother class ;)

Glad you’re up and running, anyway, it’s a very, very, very easy mistake to make.