Scroll-phat problems

Hi all,

I have a scroll-phat that I cant seem to get working on my raspberry pi 0 (jessie raspbian), I have this error when I try to run an example

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test-all.py", line 5, in <module>
    import scrollphat
  File "build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/scrollphat/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
  File "build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/scrollphat/IS31FL3730.py", line 21, in __init__
  File "build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/scrollphat/IS31FL3730.py", line 62, in set_mode
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

I hope that my solder joint are not the problem! Would appricate any advice feedback- thank you

your soldering looks fine to me (though I’d say you run your iron a little hot perhaps).

How have you installed the library? and have you checked that i2c is enabled?

Thanks for the feedback- yes I installed using the Bash one-line installer-installed and rebooted a few times too. However I am going to check i2c is enabled and update from there.

hmmm I have enable i2c, and I still have the same error

$ python test-all.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test-all.py", line 5, in <module>
    import scrollphat
  File "build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/scrollphat/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
  File "build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/scrollphat/IS31FL3730.py", line 21, in __init__
  File "build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/scrollphat/IS31FL3730.py", line 62, in set_mode
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Could be a dud aka doa, but it could also be the soldering on the zero itself.

… do you have any other add-on that uses i2c? if not inspect very closely the 6 leftmost (2x3) joints on the left hand side of the Pi header (when it is facing you with the logo and writing the right way up).

I do not have another add on unfortunately- I have had a look and some of the soldering looks a bit blobby-I might try resoldering. I did run a Pin Test using wiring pi however-do you think this is useful to tell if the soldering on my Pi0 is okay? Thanks again for the advice!

The main 8 GPIO pins  0: 7:  OK
                    The 5 SPI pins 10:14:  OK
                   The serial pins 15:16:  OK
                      The I2C pins  8: 9:  OK

I don’t think a software test can tell you anything about the state of the contact, at least without attaching something to it to confirm the result.

What can is a multimeter, by checking continuity between the underside of the Pi and the top of the phat, when they are snapped together. If you have one, it’s worth dustng it off.

But, yes, the soldering is indeed a bit messy on the Pi. Remelt the solder gently, at a slightly lower temperature, and let it soak into the base of the pin and board.

It looks like some of the pins by the Pi logo might be soldered together.

-Brent

Hi

Also looks like some of the pins towards the end near the pi logo arn’t correctly soldered as you can see the copper pads.

Cheers

Paul

Hi All,

thank you for your feedback- after buying some solder wick and re-soldering a few of the joints I have found the problems is is that the x2 male header have been soldered in an a slight angle. This results in the scroll-phat not connecting with the pins properly—hmmm. Anyway the solution is for me to buy a new raspberry pi zero and mark this one up for experience!

Hey, we’ve all been there!

when you come to do it again, lay a slab of blu tack folded in half on your bench and stick the header upside down to its side (so not inside the slab, just pressed against it to keep it in place).

Then press the zero gently on top of the blu tack in place, levelled at right angle with the header.

Just solder the 4 corner pins then check all is fine before you do the remaining 36.

Also, as noted earlier don’t run your iron too hot, hopefully you can control the temperature? It should be just hot enough to melt the solder adequately, no more.

… hope this helps!