Problem with ScrollPhat

Hi there,

I’m having an issue with the ScrollPhat. I’ve read other replies and posts in the forums but no solutions have yet worked.

When I try to run any of the examples after installation (which all works fine) I get errors. Specifically, when running test-all.py I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “test-all.py”, line 7, in
import scrollphat
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scrollphat/init.py”, line 20, in
controller = IS31FL3730(smbus, font)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scrollphat/IS31FL3730.py”, line 21, in init
self.set_mode(self.i2cConstants.MODE_5X11)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scrollphat/IS31FL3730.py”, line 62, in set_mode
self.bus.write_i2c_block_data(self.i2cConstants.I2C_ADDR, self.i2cConstants.CMD_SET_MODE, [self.i2cConstants.MODE_5X11])
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

I’ve double checked all pins (and yes, the header is soldered on!) and performed continuity checks but can’t find a problem.
Is this usually a hardware or a software issue? And is there any other checks I should make?

Hope you can help!

what do you get if you run:

i2cdetect -y 1

The answer is… not a great deal!

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f

00: – – – – – – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – – – – –

Whilst troubleshooting something else I may have discovered that my multi-meter is playing up and giving me false continuity readings… what are the chances that my headers not connected at all…?

I just discovered I may be a royal idiot.

Since the fit was quite snug and it didn’t add/remove easily I assumed the male pins were fine to connect to the female pins easily…

What I didn’t account for is the short ends of the pins probably weren’t long enough to connect to the female pins!

Sorry for wasting your time!

Lesson learnt - measure twice, solder once.

1 Like