1.44" colour Adafruit tft screen on RPi (ST7735R)

I’ve purchased two of these screens and have found the documentation is only for arduino. I’ve got a rather limited knowledge on how to get these screens to work with the raspberry pi without the snake eyes bonnet.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction (with as much detail as possible please).

Thank you in advance

Your best bet would be to post on the Adafruit forums.

… as far as I can tell the screen is very similar from a BOM point of view to Raspberry Pi screens they have for sale, so I would be very surprised if weren’t able to load a stock Raspbian dtoverlay and have all the kernel level drivers available. YMMV.

I’ll try again, but when I attempted to post anything, it seemed like it wouldnt let me without purchasing straight from them.

Thankyou for replying, I see your making the rounds on the forums.

Sorry, would you be able to describe some of that in simpler terms for me, I’m sure I’ll find what your talking about when I take a look when I get home.

I’m sure I can guess that kernal is like the base part of the os but the BOM and dtoverlay and YMMV I don’t quite know yet.
Thankyou again.

it seems, I was rather blind to the workings of the Adafruit forum, am posting there now. Thank you for your help and I’ll look into your suggestions after I post there.

check /boot/overlay/README, though at a glance none of the overlays seems suitable, so I may be barking the wrong tree, and it seems less straightforward than I expected.

Is there any particular reason you do not wish to use the Snake Eyes Bonnet? granted I’m convinced it could work without this is obviously the easier point of entry, particularly if you are not sure where to start.

… the instructions for the bonnet should be pretty much what would be needed to get those screen driven though, regardless, and I’d expect them to be as close to an hypothetical exact procedure that you may be able to gather from asking questions on the Adafruit forums.

Only a matter of extended cost and a way to use only one at a time (but I assume I can do that anyway with the bonnet).

The overall plan is to use it it a HUD set-up where it would show me certain variables on the fly. of course I’m far from achieving that level of detail and would have to figure out how to have everything placed.
That I can focus on once I have it connected and understand how to interact with it using python.

I just need a starting ground, which would mostly be, how to set-up the pins, then how to interact with it using python and from there, I should be fine with little bits of tutorials and help here or there.

I’ve asked on the adafruit site but am unsure as to when I’ll get a reply. Thank you again for replying and helping me get this goal somewhat closer to realization.

Ah, I realized why I didn’t want the bonnet, it’s mainly to use the least space possible and be able to access other pins. (I think the bonnet allows access, so it would then fall down to size.)

The plan is to have the pi placed in the back of a helmet with the screens to the side of the eyes.

Apologies if this is a jumble of words.

In a simpler fashion;

I would like to figure out the pin connections straight to the raspberry pi’s GPIO, so I can use other GPIO’s for other purposes. Then I would hope to find a library that’ll help me create my own animations or designate segments of the screens to showing up specific data related to specific stimulus.

The HUD bit I can figure out with reflective acrylic and such, it’s just getting those base requirements that’s stopping me from progressing.

Apparently these LCD displays are supported in fbtft, the framebuffer tft driver.

They’re listed as compatible here, anyway: https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/LCD-Modules which includes details about how to write it up.

Thank you for your reply, I can’t find the 1.44 on the list, but would they be very similar to another?

what matters is the driver chip: ST7735R

… presumably you may have to define the resolution and frame rate somewhere but other than that the 1.8 and 1.44 would rely on the same fbtft driver.

again I would have a look at the snake eyes instructions, I would be very surprised if loading the relevant bits is not what their install script does. That page also lists some additional commands that very much look like configuration specific for those screens:

1 Like

Thank you very much, I’ll take a look into that and will report back here some time in the next few days :) You’re all very very helpful :D