Arcade Retro Clock HD

Here is a sample of what the clock looks like on the UnicornHD

1 Like

Nice, really nice. My Unicorn hat HD is on the back burner for now. I likely won’t do anything in earnest with it until I get outside this summer. Where I can spend a few hours in a row tinkering.

I’ve seen the code for the Unicorn 8 x 8 but could you please share the code for the HD version, I’d really love to get my hands on this.

Thanks

Scott

Hey Scott. I have been meaning to clean it up and release it. I have so many games in it that it is getting quite cumbersome.

Tonight I will spend some time on getting the space invaders game isolated along with the common functions, and I’ll release that. I really want people to enjoy this project. I think they will be blown away.

Thank you very much for replying it’s really appreciated.

I can’t wait to show off my Unicorn HAT HD with your code. Looks stunning!

1 Like

I am very happy to announce the release of my Arcade Retro Clock HD on github.

Works on any Raspberry Pi, requires a UnicornHD hat (16x16 LED).

Features:

• Shows Current Time / Day of week
    Plays 9 mini games
    Scrolling text
    Animations

This is a python3 project that I wrote over the past 3 years. I hope you enjoy it.

2 Likes

Thank you Datagod! Thank you very much!

I couldn’t get it to install assuming I use the .sh file ( tried double clicking from within Raspian) to install. I’m using a pi3 and have already set up the unicorn hat hd. Any ideas? Thanks

You raise a good point. I forgot to include install instructions!

I’ll update GIT later, but for now put all the files in a folder. Run this from a a command line in that folder:
sudo python3 ArcadeRetroClockHD.py 0.07 0.01 0.08 23 7 1 1.0

Let me know if that works.

Thank you, it works and its absolutely beautiful. I’m guessing once it runs it loops through the various games? I think Pacdot might be getting stuck in a loop somehow. I’ve run the program a few times and I think I have only seen it cycle through to the other games once.

Its absolutely stunning and really shows of the Unicorn HAT HD. Dear Pimoroni peeps, you really need think about speaking to Datagod and incorporating this as one of the examples. This is next level stuff!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, Pimoroni needs to do somthing. A while ago they send me a free UnicornHD and said “show us what you can do”. I am now showing. It is hard to get their attention though.

As for PacDot, I may have made him a little too clever. He doesn’t actually get hurt by the ghosts, but they do trap him in the corners and he will die if he is unable tomove.

Now that I have other people working on it, I’ll be getting ideas to improve it.

Thank you so much for your input. Please feel free to open any bugs on Git. I am looking for a way to host comments to get feedback.

1 Like

If you hook up a keyboard, there are some key presses that switch games. I broke a lot of them when I was trying to separate things into separate files.

Buttons that still work:

R - Reboot clock (restarts the program)
Q - Quit current game or Clock display, moving to the next one.

Super awasome clock! I just installed it on my Pi Zero with Ubercorn.

1 Like

I find Ubercorn to be rather dim (I am using a lightly tinted plexiglass + square grids) so I created the “gamma” function.

It is the last parameter in the call to the code. See the go.sh for more details. Change the last parameter to 1.75 or even 2. Depends on your preferences.

@datagod Any recommendation on a good clean font for use with the Unicorn HD? Something to use for full height scrolling text.

I also have a plexiglass diffuser and plastic square grid between the LED’s, works fine with the 2 parameter. Now I try to understand the code but it’s super huge compared to other ones I’ve seen.

1 Like

I drew my own. It works on the 8x8 and 16x16. I might make one just for the 16x16, as I used to make my own fonts back in the early 80’s when I was programming on TRS-80 color compters.

I had a feeling you might say something like that, after looking at what you’ve done so far. Figured it couldn’t hurt to ask anyway. Very impressive I must say.
I don’t have those skills. Wouldn’t even know where to start to build my own font.
I’m sure I’ll find something I’d like, just have to get at it and test a few out.
I’ll be more than happy to have a look at what you have to offer though.

The font I made for my 8x8 clock work great on the 16x16 because you can see more of the words without as much scrolling. Once I daisy chain multiple displays together, I’ll reconsider making a larger font.

I hear you. Scrolling text does look better on my Unicorn Mini’s wider 17 x 7 display than it does on my Sens Hats 8 x 8 display. Even though its only about half as high. It’s a lot easier to read as you see more letters on the screen at any one time.

I just made a cool update. The time and some of the map levels now zoom in and out when starting/stopping. Took a lot of fiddling to get the new function to work inside my “display window” functions. I love the results.