Bricked Badger W

Hi! I’m having some trouble with my Badger W.
I had recently flashed the latest firmware with Badger OS, and then started modifying the launcher.py script to change the examples directory to /apps.
I then uploaded the script and my computer (windows 11) lost connection.
Since then, I’ve been unable to regain connection on my PC or laptop (MacOS)

I’ve tried entering BOOTSEL mode to re-flash the firmware, but windows picks the device up as unrecognised, and there is no drive attached.

The mac has no response when plugging in as BOOTSEL.

Is the badger bricked? Is there any way of forcing BOOTSEL? I have no idea how a faulty python script can get into this state.

Thanks!

EDIT: I’ve tried another Pico W in BOOTSEL and that mounts just fine - going back to the Badger it’s unrecognised again

I’ve had issues with RP2040’s not working in boot mode, when I have a Circuit Python programed RP2040 plugged into that same Windows PC.
If I unplug the Circuit Python RP2040, all is then good for anything plugged in, in Boot Mode. It had me banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what was going on.
Long story made short, unplug any other USB devices you don’t need, and see what happens.

EDIT: Another thing to try is after its plugged in;
press and hold reset, then press and hold boot select;
release the reset button, then release the boot select button.

No, this is not possible. The bootloader is stored separately and has no knowledge of what you have on your device.

When you plug in your BadgerW, does the Pico show any sign of life, e.g. a flashing of the LED or something?

Yes I thought this was the case!
The pico itself shows no sign of flashing lights.
If BOOLSEL is not held, then the light on the Badger illuminates indicating that something is happening when holding BOOTSEL.

Thanks for your reply.
Sadly neither of these methods make a difference :(

I’ve had similar when … something … had confused my USB stack so much it refused to recognise some devices. While I’m sure you’ve already tried it, reboot your host to see if it clears that.

Other than that; try a different cable, and a different port (if you have one available). As others have said, it’s impossible to break the BOOTSEL stuff from Micropython, no matter how terrible your Micropython is (as I am living proof of!)

1 Like

Plugged into my mac, MicroPico in VSCode is now alternating between connected and disconnected, but clicking reset or any other buttons aren’t working. Thonny doesn’t pick anything up.

Haha yes this MicroPython must have been pretty disgusting.

Unfortunately switching ports / machines / usb cables hasn’t made a difference

Hmm, the only other thing I can think of is that the BOOTSEL button is dead?

I thought it could be this, but the light doesn’t come on on the badger when I hold BOOTSEL and plug in, but it does when I plug it in without holding it

The only think I can think of is the USB connection - first image is the badger, second is a Pico W that successfully connects

Do these solder joints look suspicious?

Another idea: Does the badger have hardware in it that would cause the pico to sleep / become unresponsive?

The first image is not sharp enough to tell.

The Badger does have hardware to support power-off when on batteries. When connected to USB, it should be always on.